retro-spec raised cowl hood 1st pics of development.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
KevinM;1517392 said:
I had mine done a couple of years ago and prefer a little smoother cowel like this:

-it's another great option to have though either way!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

(front is high since there's no motor in it right now)

Where did you get yours done at?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I like it! As for the radius of the slope, I think it should be smoothed out a bit. But for my future plans with my project, a higher cowl will make more room for a twin scroll supercharger sitting on top of my engine. Also, any chance for windshield washers to have a home on the hood?

I would like to see the framing on the bottom though! Good work, keep it up!!

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Maybe you should make two versions, one thats subtle and one thats not. I just can't see spending money on a hood that has a subtle raise to it, if i spend my money i worked hard for i don't want it to be a barely a noticable enhancement. Plus, a higher cowl is better for cooling.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Chambers;1518044 said:
I like it! As for the radius of the slope, I think it should be smoothed out a bit. But for my future plans with my project, a higher cowl will make more room for a twin scroll supercharger sitting on top of my engine. Also, any chance for windshield washers to have a home on the hood?

I would like to see the framing on the bottom though! Good work, keep it up!!

Same here I would like to see the botton framing as well.!!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i would just like to have a lightweight fiberglass hood that fits well and cost effective. having a raised cowl is just a bonus to me.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
lol might as wlel just make a whole kit to make your car looks like tekedus's car. but yea id be in for one depending on price. you can paint it to match the stock white paint that went on the 87 supras?

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
YoungGunSupra;1520137 said:
lol might as wlel just make a whole kit to make your car looks like tekedus's car. but yea id be in for one depending on price. you can paint it to match the stock white paint that went on the 87 supras?

Your paint would have to be perfect to the original color. If its at all all sun faded, the hood will be an entirely different shade of white. Hence the reason aftermarket parts generally come unpainted, they will usually have some type of primer to keep them from rusting (if its not plastic) but thats not a finished painted product. If your worried about prepping and painting just get a carbon fiber hood.

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
That hood looks very agressive, I like it!!! Why would you buy a cowl hood in the first place if you were looking for a subtle look? If that's the case just stick to the OEM hood. Depending if it's raised too much then yeah, but this one you have right now Paulo is great. Put me on the list when this comes out, I'll be on the look out.

boricua114

Boostin Good Lately
M_31_07;1526516 said:
That hood looks very agressive, I like it!!! Why would you buy a cowl hood in the first place if you were looking for a subtle look? If that's the case just stick to the OEM hood. Depending if it's raised too much then yeah, but this one you have right now Paulo is great. Put me on the list when this comes out, I'll be on the look out.

The reason is to cool the engine more, some drag mk3's put spacers to make the back of the hood be up higher so more heat can escape

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
boricua114;1526580 said:
The reason is to cool the engine more, some drag mk3's put spacers to make the back of the hood be up higher so more heat can escape

I guess that would work...except the base of the windshield is a high pressure area so the hot air doesn't escape.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I have actually seen testing done that shows using spacers at the rear of your hood does increase cooling efficiency. Im not sure that i would go to that extreme for a few degrees of cooling, maybe on a vehicle used in competition.

Whats the progress on the hood?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supramk3speed;1526888 said:
I have actually seen testing done that shows using spacers at the rear of your hood does increase cooling efficiency. Im not sure that i would go to that extreme for a few degrees of cooling, maybe on a vehicle used in competition.

Whats the progress on the hood?

Only makes a difference at low speeds/stopped.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Lol, then this modification would be piontless for competition use. Makes sense seeing as the radiator shroud is more usefull at idle than at highway speeds.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As Jamie said base of the screen is a high pressure zone so it's going to act as a brake for any hot air trying to escape once moving, when stopped though it will act as a chimney and reduce temps (we've been discussing this a LOT for my car with the over the engine header routing)

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
IJ.;1526897 said:
As Jamie said base of the screen is a high pressure zone so it's going to act as a brake for any hot air trying to escape once moving, when stopped though it will act as a chimney and reduce temps (we've been discussing this a LOT for my car with the over the engine header routing)

Makes perfect sense, i agree with the analysis. I've seen your motor so i can see why you've put thought into this. Something i found strange, is on my brothers camaro he has no ventilation/grill peaces whatsoever on the front. I wonder how it even pulls air. Im guessing it must get it directed from the bottom. Sorry to pull the thread in another direction.

When can we expect an update on the hood?