Removing the rear axle from hub?

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
In rebuilding the suspension (front and rear) and trying to get the splined rear axle shaft from the hub. The TRSM says once the outer nut has been removed use a plastic hammer to drive it out. So far no luck - anyone done this before? Is there something else holding it? Even tryed a puller on the wheel flange pressing the axle. Whats the trick. Any tips appreciated-----

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Wayne G.;940432 said:
In rebuilding the suspension (front and rear) and trying to get the splined rear axle shaft from the hub. The TRSM says once the outer nut has been removed use a plastic hammer to drive it out. So far no luck - anyone done this before? Is there something else holding it? Even tryed a puller on the wheel flange pressing the axle. Whats the trick. Any tips appreciated-----

If you beat it with a bigger hammer, it will come out. And the end will be damaged in a way known as "mushroomed". If you can't get to a press, soak with penatrating oil, then again and again. A block of wood and a big hammer works nice also.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
lots of PB blaster. Unscrew the nut to the point where its flush with the end of the axle stub so when you beat on it theres less chance of fucking up the threads.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Mine actually slid right out. :) That surprised me. (And would surprise you too, if you saw my car. :()

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Wouldn't be the first time I've had to remove one with an air hammer and dull point...

PB Blaster does work wonders.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
cuel;940636 said:
PB Blaster does work wonders.

AGREED!!! What's in that stuff?

I've done some resto's on old american cars from the 50's and PB Blaster has loosened stuff that 50+ years of corrosion had "welded" together.

Let frozen parts soak in it for a day or so, and it works miracles.

I've actually punctured cans of it with a bb gun (not recommended, I was young) so I could drain the can in its entirety into a container to soak bigger parts.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
not sure what area it is stuck on but would moving the suspension to full up and full lowered with a jack make the axle slide in and out of the hub thus getting it un stuck. of course this means the drive end is still connected to the diff and knuckle to the car.

if you dont have a nut the same size to put on the spline and sacrifice i have turned castle nuts around and screw them onto the shaft till almost flush and then hit it flatly with a hammer that way you dont mess up the castle so the nut wont go back on. altho this will hit the flat side that secures against the bearing. dont want to mess it up too bad either.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You need to either unbolt the axle from the diff or pull the hub away from the ball joint or the axle has nowhere to go. It has a little bit of in/out movement but not as much as you need

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
When I did it I just detached everything. Unbolt the top bot that attaches it to the upper ball joint and unbolt all suspensions arms. I was able to pull mine off directly, maybe with a little help from a hammer. The axle can bend a little and that was all I needed to get it off.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Did not have time to work on it this weekend, however the whole assembly is laying on the floor - hub, axel, lower front arm and upper arm. Will try soaking it with PB blaster and some of the other tips mentioned here. Thanks again guys--