Removing stock power set in Mk3?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Remove the four bolts holding it in, tip it backward, and you'll see the connector.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
good luck taking out the sound dampening.It's going to take you awhile to get 100% out but it's worth it if that what you want.I'm just letting you know that you hear everything.

and remember theres a good amount behind the dash

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
MK3.0dudeman;1264547 said:
good luck taking out the sound dampening.It's going to take you awhile to get 100% out but it's worth it if that what you want.I'm just letting you know that you hear everything.

and remember theres a good amount behind the dash

So far I've removed all the material in the rear seats and the back half of the passengers side. I'll be removing the rest of the sound dampening (all of driver side and the rest of the passenger side on the floor. For right now I'm going to keep the stuff in the dash as the car is still my DD but eventually will remove it once the car moves towards a track/event car and I have another DD.

I didn't find it all that difficult to remove, just used a wide flat chisel/screw driver and just pried it off the metal.

What do you guys think all (not including behind dash) the sound dampening material weighs? I'm guessing maybe 50-60 lbs.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Rennat;1264540 said:
did they ever make non-power driver seats?

My buddies old 89 turbo had a non power seat. It still had power lumbar and wings though, but no lower controls.

It was a hardtop car with tems and no abs.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Funny you should say that I found the opposite, I've done a couple 100 thousand KM's in mine and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've driven.

A bud had full power seats in his 89 and it felt like sitting on a fruitbox.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
grimreaper;1265138 said:
FUCK! open cell sound deadener is VERY effective and costly aftermarket.

Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't seem all that much louder in the car with the sound dampening i've taken out.

I don't know how anybody could take out the sound dampening material carefully, mine was cracked and just chipped out...hence using a chisel/screwdriver.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1265170 said:
Funny you should say that I found the opposite, I've done a couple 100 thousand KM's in mine and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've driven.

A bud had full power seats in his 89 and it felt like sitting on a fruitbox.

I wanted to get out of the car after an hour and half drive with the non power seats.. but have no problem on a 15 hr trip in my powered seat. It seemed to sit too high and couldn't get the seat angle (ass cushion) exactly where I wanted.