Removing Reflective Paint from Center Taillight Section

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I would like to know anything that can remove the reflective paint from the back of the center taillight section. I've already used mineral spirits and non-acetone nail polish remover. I can see this won't be an easy job, so anyone have any ideas for it?

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
:aigo:

What the hell did you search? Lol. Saved me a lot of trial and error.

Thanks Raz

EDIT - Unfortunately, with a quick google search of the Castrol Super Clean, it seems it is recalled.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I read on one forum that came up on a google search that Castrol put it back out as just Super Clean. Made sense since Super Clean is also in a purple bottle and is 2/3 of the name. So I go out to Ace Hardware and find the Super Clean but I couldn't find a Castrol logo on it at all. I bought it anyway to see if it would work, put it on and let it sit for about an hour or 2. It kinda worked and kinda didn't. It cleaned the hell out of the lens and took only a little bit of the paint on the back of it off.

I've also heard things like brake fluid, Pine Sol, and Easy Off oven cleaner. I'll probably try the Easy Off oven cleaner soon.

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
try and get some graffiti remover then use a toothbrush
follow that with, synthetic thinners.
hope that helps

Last edited:

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Well I found the Castrol Super Clean at Wal-Mart. There's 2 different kinds. The Castrol Super Clean is a concrete cleaner/degreaser. Came in a 1 gallon jug. The other regular Super Clean is just a regular degreaser. I have it soaking in the Castrol Super Clean right now and we'll see how it comes out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
soak it overnight, scrub, soak it again

It's 20 year old paint, it's going to be VERY well attached by now and will take time.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Poodles;1114733 said:
soak it overnight, scrub, soak it again

It's 20 year old paint, it's going to be VERY well attached by now and will take time.

Lol, man, you ain't kidding. I let it soak overnight and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and it's still not coming off very well. Time for another all day/all night soak and hopefully this does it.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
good luck. short of blasting it off and risking damaging the lens I dont see much working. I wonder if dry ice blasting would work?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I tried everything, including super clean and was not able to get the paint off 100% without damaging the lens. The only thing that came close was paint stripper. But left on too long, it would melt the plastic, and it would always leave some silver paint behind when it dried.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Wasnt there a guy that used to hang out on SM that made custom lenses? I remember him doing clear bubble side markers. I wonder how much it would cost to have a mold made for just the lens portion of the center section? I bet demand would be pretty high for an unpainted replacement.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So I finally got all of the paint off the back. At least 99.5% of it off, lol. I ended up using non-chlorinated, plastic-safe brake cleaner. Messy as hell to use, but it takes the paint right off on contact.

The only problem I had was that it left a white residue on the front. But all is well after a quick wetsand.

I used the brake clean in the green can from Pep Boys.

Now I just have to send out my tail lights to get blacked out. :biglaugh:

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So I found something that worked incredibly well on the paint left behind. A little scrubbing with a hard bristled tooth brush worked wonders and doesn't damage the plastic in any way.

Testors Enamel Thinner & Brush Cleaner. I got it from the local "Michaels" for a little less than $4 in the model section.

The bottle looks like this...
p1116723_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
After removing the paint (No, not ALL of the paint is gone, it's not really necessary to be honest. But, you have to make sure everything behind the lense is black, and you can't just put black on the back of the lense.)

p1116993_1.jpg