Removing PS...Need a Dry Rack?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Hey, Question for those of you who have removed power steering, did you need to get a dry steering rack? Besides just draining the fluid out? I am considering this for the future and would just like to get some background info.

Thanks,
-Sam

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
keep the rack filled, otherwise you may run into some problems later.

Guys, if the PS is removed correctly (lines looped and rack is full of fluid), it is not bad at all to drive over 5mph.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
With those he-man arms you got, I don't blame you:sarcasm:
When I had the 7m-ge in my car, I had the lines looped and it felt wonderful (after adjusting for 15 min or so). When I put the 1jz in the car, I kept the power steering and I did not like it as much, I felt too disconnected to the road.

moverbaugh

Nov 20, 2009
San Diego, CA
My old 300ZX had a leaky rack when I got it. I just had the guy replacing my alternator remove the PS belt while he was at it, and left it that way for 70,000 miles. Totally great when moving and especially at highway speed, but pure hell when trying to parallel park.

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
The rack needs fluid in it. I dont think it would like not having lubrication. I n my eclipse the racj started to seize up. I looped the lines to the stock resivoiur and filled it up and 135k miles of trouble free use.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Wait, whats this power steering you guys are talking about???

Just kidding.

Its not bad as long as the car is moving. But stopped, be prepared to turn into the hulk.

Ive never had power steering in the 4 cars Ive owned.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
i need a opinion or two, my rack was leaking bad... like i would fill it and it woulf be empty in under 30 min. i quit filling it and have been driving it dry, i dont have the $$$ to get a new one or new seals. what should i do?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Boosted516;1488134 said:
my p/s pump went, and it sucks. i took the belt off and it still sucks, how do ppl like to drive like that?

Muscles? I dont really see how people have a hard time with them, maybe it had to do with the 225 rubber I had up front, and not some wide tire like Grim said.