Removing beep when door is open

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Has anyone ever got that annoying beeping sound to STFU when the key is in the ignition and how did you go about doing that?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Close the door? :p

First, its there to help you, annoying though it may be.

If the key is in the OFF or ACC position, it will beep. Most Toyota vehicles stop beeping if you put the key into the ON position.

You can easily get rid of it by disconnecting the courtesy door switches, but then you lose your dome light when the door opens. You can also disconnect the keysense switch at the ignition cylinder. I don't suggest either be done, but its your car.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have always hated the door buzzers and have been tempted to remove them from all my vehicles but I always decided not. For me I have a routine when I go to work, I always liked to get into the car, put the key right into the ignition but not turn it on until I am in a "driving" position, I leave my door open while I get my belt on and get my work stuff situated and then close the door. The whole time, the key in the ignition causes the beeping. I've tried tossing the keys onto the seat next to me, in my lap, not inserting the key all the way or whatever else but it never works out as well. I just live with the beeping because I know it will save me at some point, that one time I forget my keys that infernal beeping will be a life saver.

My advice, try to alter your routine or live with the beeping but do not remove it.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
I forgot to put that I am fully aware of what its purpose is and what I'll be loosing. That being said, I haven't changed my mind about it. I always find myself hanging out in my car behind work when there isn't anything to do with my feet outta the door and the radio on. Most of the time I'm working on something that requires the door being open and I like the radio on in the mean time as well. Doesn't turning it all the way kill the battery more? Plus I don't like all those extra lights on the dash.
Isn't there a like a mini speaker I can just yank out?
I never use the dome lights unless I need them, then I simply just push the button.
Oh and about getting locked out, i always check for keys as I roll the windows up and even then, I have a spare at home and in my wallet.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Its that thing under the dash, making the beeping noise. Its under the dash, beeping.

Have you looked?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Jimbo;1772441 said:
I forgot to put that I am fully aware of what its purpose is and what I'll be loosing. That being said, I haven't changed my mind about it. I always find myself hanging out in my car behind work when there isn't anything to do with my feet outta the door and the radio on. Most of the time I'm working on something that requires the door being open and I like the radio on in the mean time as well. Doesn't turning it all the way kill the battery more? Plus I don't like all those extra lights on the dash.
Isn't there a like a mini speaker I can just yank out?
I never use the dome lights unless I need them, then I simply just push the button.
Oh and about getting locked out, i always check for keys as I roll the windows up and even then, I have a spare at home and in my wallet.

You are running the radio off the battery but are worried that a few gauge lights will kill your battery... ?

If you are working on the car you should be pulling the negative battery cable anyways, get a shop radio ;) .

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Turning the ignition to "on" will run the fan (if on) and power the ECU and dash lights. In comparison to the radio, the only significant drain in that is the fan, which you can simply switch off.

Alternately, for less work, you can connect a switch which will power on the radio without powering on the rest of the things in the car. You need a $1.99 DPST switch. In the "off" position, it will connect the switched power in the radio to the accessory power in the car. In the "on" position it will connect the switched power in the radio to a constant +12V source.

Alternately, you'll need to disconnect the keysense for the ignition switch. The speaker for the door chime is in (I believe) the #1 integration relay, so to remove it, you'd need to open the box and de-solder it. I wanted to tap into it for something else at one point, but decided against it. (The headlight auto-off doesn't work with my remote car starter, since the car keeps running until I get out and shut the doors, so I wanted to use it to warn if I leave the lights on. It ended up being easier to use the alarm's "armed" output to fool the car into thinking that I opened a door for 1.5 seconds, which activated the auto-off.)

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
From memory there's a switch in the Lock that senses when there's a key in it as Dan pointed out, disconnect that and the buzzer should STFU.

Shouldn't affect anything else whereas disconnecting the door switches will ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
planemos;1772525 said:
Just put a piece of tape over the door switches. Done. I dunno why you all have to make it so complicated...poking and prodding at the poor guy trying to get him to snap.
Is that how you did the beeper in the short bus? :nono:

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
jetjock;1772487 said:
^ This. Just be aware disconnecting the key sense will defeat the anti-lockout function.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. 99% of owners dont know that it even exists. Owners manual is king.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hopefully most owners don't lock their doors with the key in the ignition. Stuff happens though, which is why Toyota put it in there. Btw good to see you're still around.

mkiiichip;1772460 said:
Its that thing under the dash, making the beeping noise. Its under the dash, beeping. Have you looked?

Thanks....I enjoyed that :)