Rebuilt A340e no second gear (FIXED)

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Please go to post #3
"Well.. I feel like an idiot. Looked down and realized the trans computer wasn't even plugged in.
One more problem though.
First gear goes to like 3 or 4k rpm and skips second. When I put the gearshift to second it goes into second but it slips really bad. Aaaany chance this could be a valvebody issue?"

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Well.. I feel like an idiot. Looked down and realized the trans computer wasn't even plugged in.
One more problem though.
First gear goes to like 3 or 4k rpm and skips second. When I put the gearshift to second it goes into second but it slips really bad. Aaaany chance this could be a valvebody issue?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350773131666.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350773131666.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Here are some videos of the symptoms.
Normal easy takeoff:
[video=youtube;0HCUGXd782E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCUGXd782E&feature=g-upl[/video]

Manual second:
[video=youtube;MsQ9Kao8Bio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQ9Kao8Bio&feature=g-upl[/video]

Attempting a rolling second gear kickdown:
[video=youtube;7_jqYQsdMwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_jqYQsdMwI&feature=g-upl[/video]

One thing to note is that when the car is first start of the day cold, it'll shift into second but slip. When it gets warm, second doesn't exist.

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
TTT, still trying to track this thing down. Dropped the car off at a shop so they can see if they have any ideas. Someone told me it could be a rolled seal in the trans somewhere but I was pretty caeful putting it back together although that doesn't mean that its not possible.
Another thing I might add is that before the rebuild first gear would ride out similar to how it is now but it did eventually go into second. I did have the valvebody apart but only to replace the gaskets but I left all the check balls in their place.
If anyone has anything i'd love to hear, i'd like to have an idea of things to look for before I go ripping this thing apart again.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Have you checked for codes on it? just to make sure its not a faulty connection/selenoid.... I would say start with checking codes and go from there eliminating each one and diagnosing all you can electrical wise before pulling it apart ....

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
No codes. Picked it up from the shop and they didn't have anything conclusive in mind. I did notice that when I picked it up, it shifted into second just fine and it held even under boost. About a mile down the road it started slipping again and eventually it lost it all together. When I get some time I'm going to take the valve body apart and inspect it.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Hmm, sounds like it slips when the fluid starts heating up. Well, if by any chance you end up scrapping the transmission please sell me your harness lol :D.... The one that goes to the selenoid, I have the same transmission except the non turbo.....

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
No chance on the harness, i've worked far to long on this one to give up on it this easy hah. I got done talking to a guy who insist it has to do with the second coast brake/acumulator. Would this make any sense at all? I was looking at the TSRM and the second coast brake is the only thing that is on in only second gear and not on in any other gear. Everything else is used in other gears and every other gear works perfectly fine. Sorry to keep bringing this back from the dead but i've got to figure this out.

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Eleminated the 2nd coast brake. Took off the pan and air checked it, checked fine but I replaced the seals anyway. After looking through the tsrm I noticed that the only other thing that is on besides the 2nd gear cost brake in second and not in any other gear is the No. 1 one way clutch. The only way for that to fail would be a a broken sprag and second gear would never work with a broken sprag right?
Endless searches net me not a single person with the same problem. My next step is to completely flush and rebuild the valvebody. Still fishing for ideas.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Not the only person with this problem. I couldn't find anyone that could locate the problem. I had a similar story. Replaced all frictions, steel and seals. After re-install trans had no reverse and felt like it would try to start out in third gear. If pulled into 1st gear it would pull fine and shift as shifted manually, as long as you stayed on the throttle. Let off the throttle and it would go into neutral regardless of selector position. After puling the trans out of the car 8 different times, letting 3 different trans mechanics look at it (all telling me air and electrical checks were good), and swapping 3 known good valve bodies I gave up trying to figure the problem.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
FINALLY!!! The object circled was missing in mine. Must have fallen out when i was assembling everything.
2n8saox.jpg

Thank god i didn't have to rip the trans out again!

Attachments

• 2n8saox.jpg
    2n8saox.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 4

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
IJ.;1900897 said:
LMAO from memory that's a Seal on the end of a tube ;)

MASSIVE fluid leak without it!

Yeah, was one of those DOH moments for sure. It does have a seal at the end. Just glad to have it figured out finally!