rear tire wear

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
Hey guys its been a bit since my last post/login but here is me latest issue. I have horrible tire wear on my rear tires. I have roughly put 3500 miles on my new set after getting the car and the rears have around 20-25 percent left:1zhelp:
background: the guy i bought the supra from had replaced the shocks himself. Im not sure if he had replaced the struts as well
i dont know much about aligning the rear of the supra because im still new, soooo if anybody has any info it would be greatly appreated:biglaugh:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
fwiw, shocks/struts same=same. Different design is all.

I would second the alignment suggestion. Definitely get that checked out. Is the wear even across the tire or is it more toward the inside or outside?

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
the wear is a tad worse on the outside of the tire but the wear is somewat even across the entire tire . same for both tires oh and i dont beleive the diff is welded casue when i spin the drive shaft i can hold one tire and the other will spin

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Huge amount of adjustment is available in these cars, get the suspension frt/rear checked replace any worn out components and get a good 4 wheel alignment, I get outstanding tire wear can generate .9g sustained on non R spec rubber and had on the last build 500+rwhp.
(The suspension in our cars is THE reason I bought one)

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
thanks for the replys !!ive been meaning to get an alignment for a bit now and in the meantime im using a little civic as a dd. Ha sorry guys but its my only alternative right now cause i have a part time job and about to start college. the shop charges 120 for a 4 wheel alignment in my part of the woods. Is this a reasonable price? sorry for all the questions but im just tryin to make sure im not getting ripped.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
$120 is extremely high. I've never seen a 4-wheel alignment go for more than $75 within a 100 mile radius from me, and there's some money towns around, they're all the same.

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
thats what i was thinking as well. thanks for the reply. I live in the middle of redneck town usa and noone around here beleives in decent prices. i was trying to see if there is any possible way that i can do it myself.. I know its far fetched, but is it possible? im very mechanically inclined but alignment and the numbers to go with it is a bunch of jibberish to me

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
$120 is cheeper than a set of tires! I got over 30K on my 280 treadwear tires before they got below 50%.

Another possibility is your car may have been hit in the past and is no longer true. A good Alignment shop can inform you of this as well.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
it is possible to do alignment without a machine first off, the old school guys do it by hand with a measuring tape, from what i've heard the guys that do quality jobs by hand and know what they are doing, will make the alignment the best...but generally the alignment rack machine is used. i live in CA where the standard of living is fucking HIGH and an alignment at sears cost only 69.99 and you get a 6 month warranty for it. at firestone you can get lifetime alignment for 150. i have no idea why they are charging you so much for it. theres even a place next to my house family owned charges 29.99 for a four wheel alignment..lol and they cant really jip you on it..they print out alignment sheet to show you the before and after and how much centered it is. just gotta know how to read an alignment sheet

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
well i got the idea that i could align it with a tape as well because in the tsrm, that was one of the methods it showed. I found another shop that will do it for me for 60, I also know the guys fairly well so i may can get it even cheaper. One idea that seemed a little off but i thought may work as well, is to get white shoe polish, put on the tires and drive the car a very short distance and see were it is worn off the most. Its a primitive way but it seemed feasible for a "redneck alternative":biglaugh: