Rear strut/coil install tips?

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
I got the old suspension removed in the back really easy but my brand new coil overs are a real pain in the ass they wont slide in between little U that holds the lower part of the strut. It seems like the spacer is to thick.
http://imgur.com/K27rZ

thats how much its sticking out..

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What brand coil overs are you using? I have seen this happen on a lot of people with Megans. I did not have a problem with my Tiens though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you look, there is a metal bushing that slides over to firmly grip the lower bushing in the coilover/shock. You have to slide it back out to make room (don't grind/cut, it's not needed)

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
these are hsd

i heard that someone with a pair of teins had to cut the back.. there doesn't seem to be any moveable components

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
AquaX;1782599 said:
these are hsd

i heard that someone with a pair of teins had to cut the back.. there doesn't seem to be any moveable components

Oh and how low should I set these? I read in another thread its hard to get rid of the back wheel gap so is it a good idea just to crank these suckers as low as they go

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
AquaX;1782606 said:
Oh and how low should I set these? I read in another thread its hard to get rid of the back wheel gap so is it a good idea just to crank these suckers as low as they go
Taller tires do the trick better and won't compromise handling... Best to start out at a mid-point somewhere to get an idea of where the car is going to sit, THEN decide. Hell, on my Megans, I can tuck tire if I want.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
AquaX;1782599 said:
these are hsd

No cutting needed, trust me, there is a movable part, I had to do it on mine.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, it is a metal bushing that is on the part where the lower end of the coilover bolts to. You will have to knock it out a little, place the strut in place and tap the bushing back in. Look where the bolt goes through on the car, you will see a metal bushing there. If you cannot find it, take a picture so we can help you.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
okay even with that stupid ass bushing knocked out the strut will not slide in between the part that holds the bushing... NICE JOB HSD! $1400 suspension and not even bolt on what the fuck

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Once you get that bushing/long bolt that runs through the hub out the A arm should move put of the way.

Remember nothing moves easy when it has not been lubed or taken apart for 20+ years be patient and do not cut.

It moves trust Supramania !!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Turbo Habanero;1783218 said:
Remember nothing moves easy when it has not been lubed or taken apart for 20+ years be patient and do not cut.

It moves trust Supramania !!
Makes a good point here. I would consider using a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster. Would anyone object to greasing up some joints for a job like this? It's been so long since I've dealt with suspension, so I forget whether or not lubrication was a no-no or not...

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
there is definitely a difference between the 87-89 supras and 90-92 supras. even with that bushing out the coil over does not fit the rear. Thats why it says 90-92 on the specs. now i just need to find the best way to grind the coilover so that its still smooth.

The coil physically will not fucken fit:mad:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
what sleeve/bushing did you remove?

in that pic you posted it looked as though the sleeve in the lower strut bushing needed to be pressed flush, back into place...

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Poodles;1782569 said:
If you look, there is a metal bushing that slides over to firmly grip the lower bushing in the coilover/shock. You have to slide it back out to make room (don't grind/cut, it's not needed)

This. I installed my Megan coilovers two days ago. Use a screw driver and hammer, GENTLY tap it.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
Okay, lol look at the new thread i would post pics if i had a better camera but my phone is a piece of crap. Someone from quebec just made a thread he bought the same coils as me and has the same problem. Hopefully anyone else thinking of hsd will see this thread and know up front its not a direct install! it's not a whole lot of work but still very frustrating since these were a fortune