Rear Shock Tower Metal Gauge/Thickness?

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
I have rust that is exactly in the same area as this pic below:

p650730_1.jpg

What gauge metal or thickness is that area? I would take a ruler to it, but I don't think I would be too accurate. Anyone know off hand?

Btw, the pic belongs to alias adampeusch, hope you don't mind me using it.

Thanks.

casgallo

Not a lurker :)
Apr 3, 2005
New York
mine is rusted there too.:icon_evil sould be fixed soon though. Info would help me too although i have a semi clean donor car to use :) Do you also have the hole in the front? and the drivers side? (Dam salt!)

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
casgallo said:
mine is rusted there too.:icon_evil sould be fixed soon though. Info would help me too although i have a semi clean donor car to use :) Do you also have the hole in the front? and the drivers side? (Dam salt!)

Arr. Yes I had a hole in the front too.. I gotta weld that too.. SUCH A PITA>.. i must take out the suspenion to reach it!!! :( The metal thickness is greater in that area.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
casgallo said:
i will get some pics of mine sometime but this thread comes to mind:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337869
(only the brave enter)

I saw that post loooong time ago on supraforums and never thought I had wheel rust... I looked in my rear wheel well and didn't see anything, but that is because it was covered up by the rubber undercoating!

The method used in the post above is okay I guess, but i would have layed down some fibreglass ontop for extra stiffening and protection..
I got a cheap welder now and am going to try and weld in new metal... I don't care how ulgy the welds look as long as they are strong.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
^^^^ I'm very curious to know where you attached the ground cable for the welder to weld that metal in. There's no bare metal to attach the ground cable, unless you grinded some paint off and repainted it over?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
well...for one thing, I didn't do the work myself - also, I had a lot of body work done (rear 1/4s/outer fender wells removed and new ones installed) so there would have been quite a bit of exposed metal to clamp to. Also, for what its worth, clamp the ground in a location that you don't really care about the paint - painted surfaces are relatively low resistance so you should have no issues with current flow.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Ric said:
Why all the work? Good condition n/a MK3's without rust are like $1200, you could have swapped everything over.

that is a locational thing - the price of getting a car shipped to canada is stupidly expensive. In Edmonton at least, most MK3s are going for 8-10k now, which is ridiculous considering most have spent their lives among the salt.