Rear Main Seal Question

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I recently replaced my first rear main seal. My motor has 1 quart over full level of oil. After replacing the seal, I attached the transmission, and lifted the whole set up high enough to snug the pressure plate , while working standing up instead of bending over working. I should have used my leveler to get it off of the 5 O'Clock angle, but I didn't. I started to have trouble holding the PP up and getting bolts in it.

I was working in a carport, and a huge storm came up, and I left it hanging at that 5 O'clock angle over night (dry). The next morning, I had a puddle of oil in the bell housing of the tranny. I have since laid the motor/tranny
flat on a table, and have had no more leaking.

1. Should the seal allow this to happen considering the angle, and the extra qt of oil?

2. Do I need to pull the tranny back off, and clean up everything, or will it burn off quickly. Remember that the PP is not yet bolted on, and is dry. Oil would only be on the flywheel and possibly the back side of the disc.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
do you mean that the whole engine was at 5 oclock of just the shaft? also this is problay a stupid question but are you sure that its motor oil and not gearoil/tranny fluid?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
The engine and transmission were connected, and the motor was at the top, with the transmission hanging. If the tranny fluid had leaked, it would hit the ground. But it was oil, dripping down into the bell housing. The puddle was not deep enough to have caused any trouble with the tranny. It wasn't that much.

I don't mind pulling the tranny back off for clean up or seal replacement if need be. But, I damn sure don't want to have to pull it once it gets in the car.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
ok i was just try ing to get a better picture inmy mind also did you check the crank shaft for pits and scratches and are all the bolts tight? i made that mistakequite a few times personally

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
but personnaly i would say the best idea is to pull the tranny off again and check everything again. i mean it be something stupid or something major. i mean at the very least you could find out for sure where its coming from and clean it up off of everything else. but it sounds like the seal didn't seal all the way or something isn't tight on there.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
as everybody else has said, pull it back apart now while it is easy. id put another seal in it as it sounds like you have torn it while installing it(easier to do than you'd think).

at this time it is only time, and a few bucks for another seal.....later it could be a clutch

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Even if the engine was standing on the flywheel a properly installed seal shoukdn't leak, time to pull it and recheck, if the Disc is polluted a couple of cans of BRAKLEEN "might" save it but if it's a fibre disc it's toast.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wouldn't hit the disk more than likely as it would hit the flywheel first...

But yes, the seal shouldn't leak (make sure it's lubricated when you put it in, many of the new seals at work are pre-greased for this very reason)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Here is a little of an update. I did get the tranny back off tonight, and so far I see no oil anywhere. the clutch is dry as can be. That's a great thing, as it is a brand new Driftmotion 6 puck kit. I was unable to break the flywheel bolts without a helper holding the crank bolt. So, I don't know if it came from the RMS, or if it came from the valve covers or somewhere else. It was just turning dark as I went out and got started, so I didn't look too much, and couldn't see anything.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I rarely ever use air tools myself, even though I have plenty. The thought crossed my mind, but it was dark and getting late for my retired neighbors on both sides. Maybe tomorrow evening before it gets late, or possibly at lunch.