Raced an Evo 9

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
I was on the way to work yesterday and right as I got on the freeway we both kind of started driving a little faster than traffic, maybe 70 or so.

We were both side by side and he did a quick pull for like 2 seconds just to show that he wanted to run. BTW I love Evo's, and I figure most of them would whoop my ass but this one was stock so I had hope! lol. Well we slow it down to about 55 or so, I'm in 3rd and we both nailed it surprisingly at the same time.

Once I got into boost, which happend pretty quickly in 3rd at 55MPH, I started to pull away from him, 4th just made the gap bigger. I didn't kick his ass by any means but I did win... Against a supposedly STOCK evo haha. It was a short race, only to like 98MPH or so but I kept pulling so there was no need to keep going.

Anyways there was barely anyone on the roads but we did have to pass one person so he tucked in behind me and we flew by. After the run I'm in the slow lane doing about 65MPH and my Dad calls me... "Was that you that just flew past me doing like 130MPH!?!"

Uh oh... :rofl:

Yeah that car we passed... Definitely my Dad and I wasn't paying attention to the type of car because... well I had more important things to pay attention to in a race lol. See we work at the same dealership but live at different places so I had no idea where he was on the route to work.

First he was like

Dad: "I can't believe you raced! Nick you need to be careful!!! I can't believe you, son.......... So who won?"

Me: "I did. But I wasn't going 130 haha"

Dad: "Son you need to be careful."

Pause

Dad: "Man I tried to catch up but i was at 80 and you were still pulling away from me..."

So basically the cliffs are; raced an evo on the freeway, unknowingly flew my by dad, felt obligated to discipline me but couldn't help but be proud. :rofl:

Not a great kill but just a funny story. Just a supposedly stock Evo against my car. My max boost was 10.2 PSI.

Thanks for looking!

-Nick-

91TURBOSUPRA

Apr 2, 2005
ct
nice last time i race an evo with cams and other stuff i left him by 10 cars..... they are fun to play with...

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Ha that is quite the story. I don't know what my dad would say if I blew by him in the middle of a race. I am sure it wouldn't be anything nice and I am not sure if he would be proud or not. He would rather my car look nice then to go fast, and me? I want both.:evil2:

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
You never really know with the with the EVO's kinda like mk3 supras..lol Nice kill I bet he didn't feel to good about being beat by a 20 year old car.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
LilMissMkIII;1328079 said:
How do you know just from driving next to it on the freeway that it was 100% stock??

i always ponder this myself. My friend (who shall remain nameless) raced a charger and lost with his 61mm turbo setup. He swears it was stock. It could have been but hwo do you know if you haven't actually looked at it.

On a side now HAHAHAH that was a good story i laughed.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
LilMissMkIII;1328079 said:
How do you know just from driving next to it on the freeway that it was 100% stock??

Good question... I suppose I just assumed it was stock because of the stock exhaust on the back. He could have had a cut out and just had the stock exhaust for looks. I assumed he was stock because... well he didn't beat me lol. I mean I know my car isn't slow but it definitely isn't very fast. I'd say my car is strong for a daily. But still my car can be easily beat by a lot on the streets right now.

91TURBOSUPRA;1328079 said:
nice last time i race an evo with cams and other stuff i left him by 10 cars..... they are fun to play with...

Yeah maybe after I get management or fuel I can have some more fun with them. Gotta be careful though because Alamo Autosports is around here and they have an allwheel dyno. The owner drives a pretty bad Evo. But I guess all I've got to lose is... well nothing really other than gas.

steveo;1328079 said:
Ha that is quite the story.

Thanks man!

IJ.;1328079 said:
Drove a buds modded Evo and they're not as fast as I expected
(another buds LPG stock Auto 7M GTE Mx63 Cressida kicks it's arse)

You know man, I'd love to drive a few. Nothing feels better than the ass dyno. :evil2:

Fuzz420;1328079 said:
Nice read good kill :)

Thanks!

Crypton2006;1328079 said:
You never really know with the with the EVO's kinda like mk3 supras..lol Nice kill I bet he didn't feel to good about being beat by a 20 year old car.

Haha I have no idea. Seemed like a cool guy. Had a big smile on his face and we both waved and went our separate ways.

OneJArpus;1328079 said:
i always ponder this myself. My friend (who shall remain nameless) raced a charger and lost with his 61mm turbo setup. He swears it was stock. It could have been but hwo do you know if you haven't actually looked at it.

I've heard rumors of a charger in Dallas or something with a massive turbo, 4" exhaust leading to an electric cut out- then to 3" then to 2" to the stock exhaust in the back. Stock bodied and everything... Crazy!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm still catching shit from my Dad now but it's always chuckling or with a smile at least. Lol.

I got to work that day and my Dad got their first and I guess told people already. So another service adviser comes up with this stern look on his face and said; "So... I heard you won." :rofl:

-Nick-

91TURBOSUPRA

Apr 2, 2005
ct
yeah evo are fast from take off i should know i own one lol but with the setup you have most of them shouldnt be a problem

kysupra

I'm Single
Apr 25, 2005
Lexington, KY
XofXtimeX;1327138 said:
I was on the way to work yesterday and right as I got on the freeway we both kind of started driving a little faster than traffic, maybe 70 or so.

We were both side by side and he did a quick pull for like 2 seconds just to show that he wanted to run. BTW I love Evo's, and I figure most of them would whoop my ass but this one was stock so I had hope! lol. Well we slow it down to about 55 or so, I'm in 3rd and we both nailed it surprisingly at the same time.

Once I got into boost, which happend pretty quickly in 3rd at 55MPH, I started to pull away from him, 4th just made the gap bigger. I didn't kick his ass by any means but I did win... Against a supposedly STOCK evo haha. It was a short race, only to like 98MPH or so but I kept pulling so there was no need to keep going.

Anyways there was barely anyone on the roads but we did have to pass one person so he tucked in behind me and we flew by. After the run I'm in the slow lane doing about 65MPH and my Dad calls me... "Was that you that just flew past me doing like 130MPH!?!"

Uh oh... :rofl:

Yeah that car we passed... Definitely my Dad and I wasn't paying attention to the type of car because... well I had more important things to pay attention to in a race lol. See we work at the same dealership but live at different places so I had no idea where he was on the route to work.

First he was like

Dad: "I can't believe you raced! Nick you need to be careful!!! I can't believe you, son.......... So who won?"

Me: "I did. But I wasn't going 130 haha"

Dad: "Son you need to be careful."

Pause

Dad: "Man I tried to catch up but i was at 80 and you were still pulling away from me..."

So basically the cliffs are; raced an evo on the freeway, unknowingly flew my by dad, felt obligated to discipline me but couldn't help but be proud. :rofl:

Not a great kill but just a funny story. Just a supposedly stock Evo against my car. My max boost was 10.2 PSI.

Thanks for looking!

-Nick-

Great story nice kill.... next time go from a stop and let us know how it goes :naughty:

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
When I get my car done at the end of the month, you line up? You have a bigger turbo than me, but I bet that I'll give you a little more of a run than that evo did!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Most evo's aren't even that fast from a dig because they're either punk kids that don't know how to drive, or it's people that know better and know what it will do to the clutch and drivetrain...

On the highway, they're cake...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Poodles;1334540 said:
Most evo's aren't even that fast from a dig because they're either punk kids that don't know how to drive, or it's people that know better and know what it will do to the clutch and drivetrain...

On the highway, they're cake...

Have you raced any evo's from a dig? They are fast, My friend with a stock evo 8 was running 13.3 @ 108 and with a mbc, intake and full exhaust, ran 12.7@113. Those cars are fast! I have raced them from a dig with my drag radials and still have to play catchup until the end of 3rd if they are modded.

Nicks car is fast for what it has for sure, You wanna line up with us too Sean?

Could be fun!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
lol, I'd make a fool of myself and run like a 16....

I've only raced evos from a dig twice, one was an older guy that said he didn't want to kill his clutch, and the other one was a punk kid that bogged it.

Currently I'd probably lose to one from a roll since I'm at stock boost again...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Evo's are no joke. I have a buddy with a Evo 9 RS with some decent BPU style upgrades. I've driven it and my butt dyno says it would wax my ass. It might be because of the lighter weight and the stiff as hell chassis that the RS's came with but that car feels evil quick. It's a solid car and it makes my 180,000 miles MKIII feel in major need of a chassis freshening up.

All in all, good job taking that Evo!

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
yea, evo's are overrated.... but if race was from a dig he woulda left you til you guys hit about 70 maybe once you find good traction.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Oh I agree. The Evo's are pretty quick, esp off the line.

Yeah man if you want to line up we can. We could have another Dallas Raceway meet soon if that sounds good. I'd like to have a few more mods under my belt though. We shall see my friend!

Thanks for the comments guys!

-Nick-