Race Ready 7M

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I had to daily beat mine for about a year. While any day in a supra is a good day, I prefer to minimize them in an attempt to maintain that unmatched euphoria that only a supra can offer.

I wish you a speedy recovery, Van.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1963110 said:
I had to daily beat mine for about a year. While any day in a supra is a good day, I prefer to minimize them in an attempt to maintain that unmatched euphoria that only a supra can offer.

I wish you a speedy recovery, Van.
Thanks, Kenny. How's UR build going?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^Very Nice!

My delay is the machine shop. My buddy is doing the head work on the side. P&P, resurfacing, shimless buckets, and other related head work. The problem is, his dad semi-recently past away and I've left him alone. I know he hasn't forgotten about the work, I just think he's struggling with motivation. Good guy but, I'm going to have to start applying some pressure. Gingerly of course...

My only other hurdle is clutch choice...

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1963612 said:
^Very Nice!

My delay is the machine shop. My buddy is doing the head work on the side. P&P, resurfacing, shimless buckets, and other related head work. The problem is, his dad semi-recently past away and I've left him alone. I know he hasn't forgotten about the work, I just think he's struggling with motivation. Good guy but, I'm going to have to start applying some pressure. Gingerly of course...

My only other hurdle is clutch choice...
What are you thinking the new engine will make for power and torque?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Time for Ol' Fatty to go on a diet. I'm taking the Supra in to VIP Performance on Oct 21st, to start the process, by having Wryann and Philip take a look at the greater use of aluminum and carbon fiber for weight reduction. Chrome Molly on the sub frame cross member and radiator lower cross member, aluminum bumpers and under carriage; carbon fiber on the exterior body panels.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
1-2clutch-u;1969258 said:
Im interested now. My car needs to loose weight also. I would be willing to pay some cash for development cost. Let me know.
I'll be documenting this part of the project development and this time I'll include development costs. For instance: to develop the current engine plus supporting mods, cost me a little over $6K. My goal this time is to get the car lighter, improve the weight distribution, roll and pitch, and get rid of 300 Lbs. The current weight is 3360 with spare tire, jack, full fuel tank. Additionally, if at all possible, the driving position needs to be moved back four inches, a little more toward the center and moving the motor and trany back four inches too, would have a positive effect on balance. Moving the engine back would mean fabricating the firewall and trans-tunnel... And various other items too.
As that would push expenses far beyond what I can afford, I'm opting for a compromise, and will instead move my seat back four inches, get a longer steering column, deeper dish steering wheel, extend the gear shift lever back and move the peddles back too. The next item would be to move a fuel cell back behind me in the cabin. Again, the purpose is to develop a car ready for track days as well as sport driving in the Country. If it occasionally gets good gas mileage; well that's icing on the cake!

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Another way to get more weight in the rear is a transaxle... I already looked at a 2007 Tremec transaxle and torque tube for a Corvette, and that may be the way I go instead of moving the motor back four inches.
$(KGrHqRHJEMFJHrS1on4BSSytlwuNg~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've begun the process of weight reduction on the Supra by purchasing these two items for about $1300 delivered: 86tysup2doe-020c[1].jpg86tysup2doe-010c[1].jpg :naughty: Additionally, VIP Performance will replace the glass on the hatch and the two side windows with 3/16th, Makrolon polycarbonate. The front and rear heavy, steel crash bars will be replaced with extruded aluminum tubing. That should reduce the weight! Next will be the doors and front fenders...
After the body panels are lightened, I'm going to look into using extruded aluminum rectangular tubing in place of the steel on both of the cross members on the front end. Those are the front cross member and sub frame cross member.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Insidious Surmiser;1970346 said:
excellent read van. lost of good info here :) not sure if I read over something, but did you ever take 1/4 a coil off your rear springs?
No, not yet. They ran out of time getting the car ready for the track. Wryann turned the coil springs to change the weight over all four wheels and that process evened up the weight on the rear corners to w/i 15LBS on corner scales.