Quick sensor question: Pre-89 vs. 89+

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
My dilemma, or so I'll call it:
I'm doing a 7mgte swap into my 82 Supra, and I'm looking into purchasing a sub harness for the swap as opposed to doing the wiring myself (I think it's cheap enough not to deal with the headaches involved). I got all my parts from a donor 88 turbo 5sp car but I'm missing the ECU (have good harness). I have an 89+ Auto harness/ecu that I would rather use since I have both harness and ECU. Will all of the sensors work properly/plug into the harness? I can get an 88 ECU, but I would rather save the money and use what I have.

Basically:
Will pre-89 sensors (igniter, coil, AFM, etc) work in an 89+ car...?

I'm assuming yes, but would like to make sure. Thanks in advance!

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mkiiSupraMan18;1296865 said:
My dilemma, or so I'll call it:
I'm doing a 7mgte swap into my 82 Supra, and I'm looking into purchasing a sub harness for the swap as opposed to doing the wiring myself (I think it's cheap enough not to deal with the headaches involved). I got all my parts from a donor 88 turbo 5sp car but I'm missing the ECU (have good harness). I have an 89+ Auto harness/ecu that I would rather use since I have both harness and ECU. Will all of the sensors work properly/plug into the harness? I can get an 88 ECU, but I would rather save the money and use what I have.

Basically:
Will pre-89 sensors (igniter, coil, AFM, etc) work in an 89+ car...?

I'm assuming yes, but would like to make sure. Thanks in advance!

They all will work. I have yet to have an issue with swapping these into pre '89's.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
yes they will work, i have an 89 n/a with the engine/tranny from an 87 turbo. i was able to use the pre 89 on my car since it was an early 89 the plugs all fit (except ABS.)

even if the plugs dont fit directly, if you're handy with a soldering gun and have some spare time you could make it work.

oh and the 89+ had the HAC sensor directly integrated in the ECU, but the pre 89 have an external sensor, it can be found under the glove box inside the car.

good luck!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Off the top of my head, I know the CSI sensor on top of the waterneck is a different plug, and I bet there are more...