Question for a newly resealed 7MGTE with shaved head??

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
so my question to the Supra community is what would the break-in process for my motor be, with the major parts of my rebuild being an entire resealing of all the gaskets, top and bottom end, shaving the head, and installing a metal hg with ARP rods and studs?

like many others, i have searched through the threads about engine's being rebuilt, but most frequently i come across posts that regard a fully rebuilt engine (pistons, bearings, etc.).

i know to change the oil after the first 50 miles or so to get all the shavings out, but since i don't have new cams, pistons, rings, or rods, would it be ok to (after the first oil change) drive it say, 150 miles? my car is at my home, and i am at school, but i want to take the car to school with me, but i am unsure of what kind of break in period i would have to have with those being my mods to the engine.

ANY help is appreciated, this is my first engine rebuild, and first Supra, so i'm still a newbie at all this..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If no coolant mixed with the oil then just fill it up and change it at normal interval.

If you really want to run it for 5 min then drain and fill and change at normal interval.

There is no break in procedure for a hg or any other gaskets. Engine break in is for seating the rings.

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
yeah no coolant mixed with the oil at all, the engine was pulled because the car was wrecked, and since it was out decided to fix the leaks and do the head because it was all original with 96000 miles. head gasket ended up being worse for wear anyways, so it was a good thing we did it.

thats good news cause i was kinda dreading having to go home every weekend or so just to break it in, cause i had people telling me to break in for 1,000 miles or so to set the seals so it wouldn't leak or something like that. that's good news ill be able to take it with me then!

thanks for the reply!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
So... You don't know if the engine was driven with a BHG or not.

When you did the MHG, did you get the block decked? If you did, did you just re-install the same bearings?

If you installed new bearings, probably a good idea to change oil fairly quickly after installation, but that's to clear out assembly lubricant, it's not like seating rings. If you didn't, it still won't hurt. I'm personally a bit paranoid, and like to change the oil pretty quick after having things open for any length of time, but I have a dusty environment in my garage.

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
correct... when we pulled it apart, the head gasket was stretched between cylinders 1 and 2, and also from 5 and 6, but was not comepletely blown..
there was no oil and coolant mix, and it ran perfectly up until the pull. i understand that is a relative term though, since it is my first 7M that i have driven. still the fastest car ive ever driven by far too..

the block was not decked to my knowledge, i had my buddy take the head to the shop while i was away at school, and the only thing he said was the head was machined, but i don't recall him saying anything about the block.
the bearings are the same, as my funds were limited, but that will probably change this summer when i pull the motor again to paint.

im really paranoid too, and that's why i wanted to reach out, because i didn't want to spend all this money getting it all together and have it blow up in my face 20 miles down the road.

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
what are the benefits to decking the block? and why would there a be a problem if there wasn't one to begin with other than the factory head gasket problem itself?