Question about traction

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
So as of now my car is at the shop waiting to get the fmic on and a tune. I was hoping that I could get on my widebody kit and new rims and tires before the H20 meet in Maryland but it doesn't seem like thats going to happen. So my question is, my car right now is sitting on some 225's; Relatively thin tires but with a decently grippy compound, and I'm expecting about 500 whp. Do you guys think on 225's with 500whp my car would grip at all? I'm talking like 40+mph rolls? I want to take it down and lay a V-dub beat down but I'm not sure how my tires are going to hold up? All opinions and comments welcome.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It all depends on the tires and the temperatures. I'm running 568rwhp and 275's with a 50 wear rating, in hot weather they'll stick. In average weather they'll usually stick in third gear. On my other car with ~400rwhp, 200 wear rating, and the same width, first and second gear will usually spin, third gear sticks.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
colpire;1754892 said:
So as of now my car is at the shop waiting to get the fmic on and a tune. I was hoping that I could get on my widebody kit and new rims and tires before the H20 meet in Maryland but it doesn't seem like thats going to happen. So my question is, my car right now is sitting on some 225's; Relatively thin tires but with a decently grippy compound, and I'm expecting about 500 whp. Do you guys think on 225's with 500whp my car would grip at all? I'm talking like 40+mph rolls? I want to take it down and lay a V-dub beat down but I'm not sure how my tires are going to hold up? All opinions and comments welcome.

Get some MT drag radials and call it a day (275/45)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1755042 said:
That only works up to a certain power level, AND if you're willing to sacrifice cornering ability.

You know, I found that the Nitto 555R's that came on the car when I bought it gripped just fine for cornering, but the sidewalls were a bit softer than the same tire size (regular 555, street tire). Maybe I wasn't pushing it hard enough, but they kept the rear in check during cornering just fine, strangely.

As for 500rwhp and 225's... have fun. Suspension set up just right and a smooth enough transition onto boost, you might hold alright, but I wouldn't count on it.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
GrimJack;1755042 said:
That only works up to a certain power level, AND if you're willing to sacrifice cornering ability.

Not really, well i guess it really depends on what your doing with the car. Not sure what power level your talking about but i had radials on my vette and at that time the car was making 641 rwhp and running back to back mid 9's all day.

You are correct on corner ability, too soft of sidewalls.

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
Damn...Looks like I'll have to be easy on the pedal. :<

Until i get those 315's in the back fml. lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
madsupra88;1755383 said:
Not really, well i guess it really depends on what your doing with the car. Not sure what power level your talking about but i had radials on my vette and at that time the car was making 641 rwhp and running back to back mid 9's all day.

You are correct on corner ability, too soft of sidewalls.
Were you running with the traction control on??? I can spin drag radials in 1st whenever I want... second gear they only spin if it's not hot enough.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
No trac control, would spin from a dig, but if I clean the tire by doing a quick spin, I usually never had a problem with 40+mph rolls.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
madsupra88;1755552 said:
No trac control, would spin from a dig, but if I clean the tire by doing a quick spin, I usually never had a problem with 40+mph rolls.

Do 91 C4's even have traction control? I know my SS had a spot for a button for it, but whoever ordered/bought the car originally didn't check that box haha...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1756205 said:
Do 91 C4's even have traction control? I know my SS had a spot for a button for it, but whoever ordered/bought the car originally didn't check that box haha...
No, traction control wasn't released until '92.

40+ mph rolls is a long, long way from having traction from a dig. I can get traction in third gear with those tires, sure... sometimes even in second gear.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I think one thing that most people don't pay attention to, is get an alignment before you spend big bucks on tires. If you lowered your car but didn't do an alignment at the new ride height, it can make a big difference.