Question about all the stolen supra's

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Ok well it seams that even tho our cars are not worth a whole lot in stock fair shape.. why are they getting stolen ? Im going to guess becaue they have alot of money in aftermarket parts.. so.. all the cars that have been stolen.. did ALL of them or most have tons of money in aftermarket parts on them ? If thats the case then they must know whats under the hood.. and was wondering if the fourms not just sm but all the supra fourms are a outlet for thieves to look for high dollar cars... Just sucks that so many get stolen and they are not worth alot only the fast go go parts are.. what is everyone input ? And what can we do together as a group to battle this problem.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
this is a great reason for not putting a "mod list" in the sig line, the 311 site im on even banned it for this reason.
most i have seen were modified to some extent

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
well what if a DETAILED list with Exstreammy detailed pictures with say vin # etched in... something online that people can keep a eye on stuf.. like say they see a what ever for sale ... look at pictures of it... and say wow thats just like so and so has on his site and then can look at pictures to see if it looks like it is one that has been posted as stolen..Make a perment record on SM ? just an idea ..

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
that is like walking down a bad alley with a clear case, filled with cash, and a sticker that says the ammount contained and a tag line that the sn# of the bills has been recorded. you will still end up mugged!:3d_frown:

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
The way I see it is if someone really wants one of our cars...they'll get it. All the modes of communication we have no days just makes it easier. All I believe you can really do is not set yourself up for it. Things like not showing your address in pics of your car or significant landmarks that can be easily recognized. Same with actual theft prevention systems. I was just reading on here the other day that someone was talking about running a fuel cut off switch from his inner front right wheel well.....Its like HELLO?!! You just gave up your "hidden" switch.
It's all to easy to steal a car these days, so all you can do is DO everything you can to make it just that much harder for them. I know someone is going to want my car eventually, but Im going to make the bastard work for it.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Hommer

the reason that wouldn't work is that most thieves will grind the serial numbers off so the part cannot be traced in the event they got caught.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The configuration of our front windows makes our car quite easy to break in to. 20 year old lock cylinders don't help either.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Best way to protect your supra:
stc-slc2b_stealth_cam.png

+
be870m.jpg

+
beretta_92_fs.jpg

= Safe supra + wounded criminals:icon_bigg

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I got the factory alarm which is very twitchy nowadays. I got several kill switches and main power cuts that it takes about 5 minutes to start, over the top. Hell No!

lol, my build thread *which horribly sucks* shows some things but not all, and my mods list is blank. paranoid, yup! why, because after getting my honda stolen once for a few hrs, it broken into to steal but had a ignition chip to stop them. then having my new honda broken into and everything stolen then to have my jeep fucked with.

it leaves me I bit bitter and I whole lot paranoid. I'll shoot first, bury later.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I dont stress this anymore. Thieves will get ur car if they really want it. Alarms are comical at most since there is online information on installation and bypassing most aftermarket and factory alarms.

My friend had a 2006 brand new escalade stolen from a mall. Thieves were caught on camera. They came with their own ECU and key. swapped in their ECU broke the ignition & steering column and started the car with a screwdriver with their chipped key on center console I guess to activate ECU and just drove off in 3 minutes.

All this for a car cadillac said was not stealable due to key technology. Too bad they theives know that and brought their own :)

Summary: Keep a low profile

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I had my 89 and 86.5 stolen within days of each other..

the 89 was modified extensively, with lots of 1 off/JDM/Euro parts, the 86.5 had JDM fogs, bubble markers, 89+ mirrors/taillights/wing and a JDM TTR steering wheel..

only thing stolen from the 86.5 was the stereo, and a Cherry steering wheel cover. My 89 had the stereo, cologne and a couple of tools stolen, nothing else was touched...

all three of my Supras have kill switches, each in a difference place, so if one is stolen, the other two won't be..

they all have after market alarms now, so we'll see..

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
JDMMA70;1385836 said:
^ wounded? I like dead criminals.

As do I, however i dont like lenghty police investigations and angry family members taking me to court for killing "their little angel" that made a poor decision.
I had my TL stolen last year... they took out my stereo system, ipod, radar detector, exc. and torched the car... Few months later i hear the stuff is on the market. Had my source set up a meet to buy the stuff and saw it was all my shit. He askes me if want to buy it. I told him I already did, i had it in my TL. Then i hurt him...bad. told him if i ever saw or heard of him again i would find him and kill him. He dissapeared shortly after that. Ran into my parents when i was bringing all the shit back and had to explain how i got my shit back and why my knuckles were so cut up. Took like a month for my hand to heal completely. Used the insurance money to buy the supra; best/worst decision I ever made. Even though i lost my TL its an epic win in my book.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Ok to make myself a little clearer.. i took a random picture of a turbocharger off google images... if you look at it.. it looks just like any other turbo that could be on your car mine or who evers...so lets say you take decent pictures of your mods... hell you want to brag about what you have thats the point of fourms talk learn and show off.. besides even if the crooks are not tracking us down threw fourms they can follow you home from a car show or what ever.. my point is.. take pictures of all your stuff good ones.. every man made peace of what ever has its own little fingerprint.. that can later be identifyed.. if there is a data base online that everyone can look at then everyone can join in the hunt for stolen part... ok first picture everyday garret.... lets say this is on joe blows car.. and its stolen and he has this picture on sm database... along with other pictures..

p1385885_1.jpg

ok so a month goes buy someone sees a garret on ebay or cragslist... they look at pictures and then search sm database.. and notice there is a few things that look very simular and that no other garret will have like these little blemishes...
remmber every sand mold is diferant.. no 2 are the same..

ok now look at the little things i have circled..

p1385885_2.jpg

this turbo is uniqe but the just the same as thousands of others.. but it has its own little things no other has...
so thats all im trying to say... this way we could ALL combat and hunt down the stolen parts...

Its just a idea... only trying to help ALL OF US.. so dont flame me.. :}

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
HommerSimpson;1385885 said:
Ok to make myself a little clearer.. i took a random picture of a turbocharger off google images... if you look at it.. it looks just like any other turbo that could be on your car mine or who evers...so lets say you take decent pictures of your mods... hell you want to brag about what you have thats the point of fourms talk learn and show off.. besides even if the crooks are not tracking us down threw fourms they can follow you home from a car show or what ever.. my point is.. take pictures of all your stuff good ones.. every man made peace of what ever has its own little fingerprint.. that can later be identifyed.. if there is a data base online that everyone can look at then everyone can join in the hunt for stolen part... ok first picture everyday garret.... lets say this is on joe blows car.. and its stolen and he has this picture on sm database... along with other pictures..

p1385893_1.jpg

ok so a month goes buy someone sees a garret on ebay or cragslist... they look at pictures and then search sm database.. and notice there is a few things that look very simular and that no other garret will have like these little blemishes...
remmber every sand mold is diferant.. no 2 are the same..

ok now look at the little things i have circled..

p1385893_2.jpg

this turbo is uniqe but the just the same as thousands of others.. but it has its own little things no other has...
so thats all im trying to say... this way we could ALL combat and hunt down the stolen parts...

Its just a idea... only trying to help ALL OF US.. so dont flame me.. :}

I dont know how practical it is, but its a good idea. Another is to etch your VIN into expensive items such as turbos, intercoolers rims exc. If your car is stolen then you put your VIN on a hot item list, so everyone can check before buying.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
ok another example but no pic yet.. my maft pro has a small smudge scratch on it.. would be easy to spot it again if it ever got stolen..and if i had a pic online.. and mk saw a maft forsale he could go to the data base type in maft pro and look at everones maft pro and when he got to mine.. he could flag sm and me.. and then we could get with cops and have it looked at..next thing you know... OUR parts start showing up and our cars start staing in our driveways :}

and as a deterant say they are looking at our fourms see who has what.. but now they know theres a data base of the parts.. and they would have to modify the entire thing to hide all the small things that could identify it.. they would give up and go steal a honda :}

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Kills Switches work.

However, I with a passion do not want anyone inside the car or jacking up my car........

I'm in the midst of doing some stuff to prevent anyone from getting inside. (even myself if the battery dies...lol)

Anyone have an idea of preventing this car from being jacked up (with a jack)?