Prosport oil gauge install problem

7m2ner

Boosted MA70
Jan 26, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Hey guys, I just my gauges in, and I went to install the oil pressure sending unit into the stock location, and it seems to be a different thread size, I tried searching, and I came up with nothing. If it is another size, how have you guys installed yours? Thanks for all the help, and hopefully I can get this build done soon.

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
Double check your oil level after you drive for a few miles.... a friend of mine installed a prosport guage and had the same problem with the fitting... and after he got it in there he lost all the oil in the engine as it sprayed out under full boost and now has RK so check it after install....

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IIRC we have British pipe thread fittings on our car. So instead of 27 threads per inch which we are use to (NPT) , it has 28 threads per inch (BPT). You will have to find an adaptor for it. I also believe prosport has them for sale on their web site.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
92nsx;1278407 said:
IIRC we have British pipe thread fittings on our car. So instead of 27 threads per inch which we are use to (NPT) , it has 28 threads per inch (BPT). You will have to find an adaptor for it. I also believe prosport has them for sale on their web site.

the prosport fitting is a BSP, while our block is a BSPT (taper). If you are using the prosport fitting (which I am), It would be wise to give the threads a coat of FIPG before installing.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
adampecush;1278465 said:
the prosport fitting is a BSP, while our block is a BSPT (taper). If you are using the prosport fitting (which I am), It would be wise to give the threads a coat of FIPG before installing.

Are you sure about the BSP or whatever? I just doubled checked with their web site and it haven’t changed (same as mine). Prosport sending units are 1/8" NPT. And my 7M block is still 1/8” BSP

To the OP. just pick up this http://prosportgauges.com/metric-adaptor-kit.aspx

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
92nsx;1278473 said:
Are you sure about the BSP or whatever? I just doubled checked with their web site and it haven’t changed (same as mine). Prosport sending units are 1/8" NPT. And my 7M block is still 1/8” BSP

Yes, the sensor is 1/8" NPT, but our block is 1/8" BSPT. If you have your old oil pressure sensor, have a look at the threads, they're tapered, and so are the female threads in the block. I did some research and apparently you can use a tapered male thread into a square female, but the other way around "isn't recommended" (likely a strength concern of the male thread). It will still seal though.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
NashMan;1279183 said:
run a tee fitting so you can run both or jst an adator

Would running a T fitting be ideal if a person were to use aftermarket oil pressure and temperature gauges? Or is there a better place to install an oil temp sensor?