Prosport gauges in the stock cluster (w/pics)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Decided to do a little afternoon project after shoveling snow and building a chopper for one of my buddies....

I picked up the gauges from CTsupra the other day and figured they'd go well in the new street/strip supra that i recently picked up that needs a few odds and ends. The whole install took about 4 hours or so.Anyways on to a few pics....

Stock cluster..
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After taking off the circuit boards...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Taking off the gauge cover...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took out the unused gauges...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Put the gauge cover back on so i could trace where it needed to be cut..
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fitting in the gauges....as you can see one needed to be trimmed a bit...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Gauges in the holes...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

All the trimming...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finished product...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

OK, so it's probably no the cleanest install ever, but it'll do for now. Now i just hope these things are accurate....

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
wow! super nice...i want to do the same, but IMHO, you should've painted the edges of the gauges black to match. i want to replace all the gauges, but prosport doesen't make a fuel gauge, speedo, and the tach they have doesen't light up green. back on topic...nice! i got a couple of questions, did you have to trim the circut board after re-installing it, and are those 60mm?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Yeah, you're probably right that that would look better with black rings instead of silver, But to be honest, i just don't care enough to do that, lol. Just want to have gauges where there supposed to be instead of on a pillar pod. Besides, this car (like the race car) is way more "go" than "show" so as long as they look decent, i'm happy. :)

Yes the circuit board needed trimming, and these are 52mm, so 60mm's would obviously require quite a bit more trimming.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
They look good, Bryan. :) The only thing I'd have done differently is fill in the space around them with some sort of putty, and paint it black. :) Otherwise you might get light bleeding out those holes from the stock gauges.

I'll be doing the same thing with Defi gauges, whenever I can get a spare minute of my life to myself...

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Slow66;941659 said:
this car (like the race car) is way more "go" than "show" :)

i bet :naughty:

do you have a picture of the backside of the finished product? (circut board side) want to see if you had to re-wire anything from cutting into it. i know one other person that did.
shaeff;941666 said:
I'll be doing the same thing with Defi gauges, whenever I can get a spare minute of my life to myself...

wow...you got some deep pockets shaeff! Defi gauges are damn expensive!

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Yeah, i really dont like the gaps around the gauges, so i plan on doing something about that.

Just trying to show basically whats needed to put something else in place of the stock gauges :)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
s0ulstar;941671 said:
i bet :naughty:

do you have a picture of the backside of the finished product? (circut board side) want to see if you had to re-wire anything from cutting into it. i know one other person that did.

That part isnt quite done yet, but i can say it will need some extending to get the battery light and "birdcage" to light properly.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
looks nice. I did something similar but with the 60mm gauges so the black part required some triming and fitting also but there was less of a gap. I wanna see this all lit up and purdy.

I had trouble witht he gauge faces hitting the front plastic, did you run into the same thing?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
CyFi6;941676 said:
I had trouble witht he gauge faces hitting the front plastic, did you run into the same thing?

Nope, the 52's tucked in there nicely. Just that extra, annoying gap.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
s0ulstar;941671 said:
wow...you got some deep pockets shaeff! Defi gauges are damn expensive!
Yeah, or I'm just stupid. You choose, as I'd rather not. ;)

Slow66;941672 said:
Yeah, i really dont like the gaps around the gauges, so i plan on doing something about that.

Just trying to show basically whats needed to put something else in place of the stock gauges :)

Gotcha. :) It'll look sweet when it's done. :)

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Bryan, Do you think the 60mm peak gauges would fit in there? I would take the Bezel off or paint it black, but it looks like from the pics there may be a little more room in there?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
shaeff;941701 said:
Yeah, or I'm just stupid. You choose, as I'd rather not. ;)

I have classified myself as stupid for buying the Defi's.

The one nice ithing 'bout them though, they're very very shallow, so there's not as much cutting/tearing stuff up as with the deeper gauges.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
frontierguy25;961243 said:
Bryan, Do you think the 60mm peak gauges would fit in there? I would take the Bezel off or paint it black, but it looks like from the pics there may be a little more room in there?

With a little grinding, 60s will fit. The main issue would be at how much of an angle you set them on. too much of an angle, and they'll hit the clear plastic.

BTW, i have since surrounded the gauges with some black plastic, and you dont see gaps anymore, but i have been lazy and havent taken any pics...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
frontierguy25;961243 said:

there was a member here that installed 60mm gauges in the gauge cluster - try searching for it

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i just got through setting 52 mm autometer oil and water gauges, and a 60 mm boost gauge in the stock positions. ill post pics soon. just takes a steady hand with a dremel. also changed all the lights to red led. but havent had the chance to put it in the car yet.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
if you could make it look more stock, it would be great. i just bought a boost anf fuel pressre gauge from them, the blue light ones.