Proof of concept (electric drag cars)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Proof of performance right here!!!

With all this talk of alternative fueled cars, I figured I would start a thread about them.. If you see something that qualifies out there, post them in here so we can all see them at work..

I want one of these.. 11.1 in the 1/4 mile..
The world record speed for an electric dragger is 8.8 in the 1/4 mile..

More on the car..
http://www.participate.net/node/1678.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/technology/business2_wrightspeed/

The video..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3624337653720181416&q=electric++race

Here is another fast car!!!
http://www.forbes.com/resourceful/2003/10/21/cx_dl_1021vow.html

Here is BMW's Hydrogen concept race car!!!
http://www.bmwworld.com/hydrogen/h2r_racer.htm

The future is a bright one guys... ;)
Post and discuss!!

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Ariel atom with a electric motor, and it's just a frames not usefull.
I would like to see a 1400kg elecric car do that :p

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
It's a race car? It just whooped ass on a gasoline powered Porsche and and Ferrari? For the cost to make the Ferrari... Seemed useful to me (as much as a race car can be) However, this one is street legal and gets up to 150 miles per charge....:aigo:

And me too!!

Here is a link for you...:icon_razz

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
there was a guy they showed on discovery channel that converted an old mail truck to electric. Ran a 9 second quarter mile and snapped his driveshaft from all the torque

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
As far as electric cars the Tesla roadster is pretty slick.

I still prefer a regular gas anyday, tho.

Maybe one day...

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Robbo: It's the 100% torque off the line that snaps them silly drive lines... :) I saw that show.. ;) SUCKING AMPS!!!

Chad: Got a link? So how many electric cars have you owned to say that you prefer one over the other?

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Sorry, my mistake. They claim about 4 seconds to 60. If I raced one and my Supra got beat by an electric car, I'd be pissed :)

Company site:
http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Here's a vid of the unveiling in Santa Monica, CA.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/20/exclusive-video-tesla-roadster-unveiling/

I honestly don't have any idea about if the claims are really substantiated or anything about the car's fit & finish, or anything like that. I haven't seen it in person, but if more electric cars that can post specs like that get marketed enough, they may become more of a reality. Iono. I still like gas for now, tho ;)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Wow.:love: I like that one too.. Thanks for the links..

I still like gas for now, tho

What other alternative fuels have you been offered, to say that you like gasoline the best in Cali?

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Oh boy.

None other than seeing the hydrogens, CNGs and the hybrids.

Until most of our power is nuclear, electirc doesn't do much from an envronmetla or political standpoint.

When the infrastructure is in place for hydrogen, I will definately be in line. I like the concept of hydrogen.

CNG just isn't going to be a good reality.

And for now hybrids are lame and don't do much to free us from foreign oil, etc.

I prefer gasoline cars because they are the most refined, and most convenient. I am very pro-hydrogen, and hope they can set up infrastructure soon.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Tesla, but only as a second car.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Chad: Cool, Thanks for the info. That is what I figured but it's been a while since I have been to CA.

Until most of our power is nuclear, electirc doesn't do much from an envronmetla or political standpoint.

Some of your power is nuk juice, but not all of it. I will get into that later..There are other ways to make it cleaner.... :)

When the infrastructure is in place for hydrogen, I will definately be in line. I like the concept of hydrogen.
You and me both!!!

CNG just isn't going to be a good reality.
It works for IJ pretty good..See his build thread..:)

I prefer gasoline cars because they are the most refined, and most convenient.
For most of us, it is our only option that's been offered...:(

S383: Welcome... ;)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
s383mmber1 said:
At first i rejected the idea of electric powered cars.

I am not so sure why, but i did.

Now, i really want one.

Personally when I think of Electric or Hybrid cars, I think of vehicles like the Prius, and Civic hybrid... That's why I rejected the idea.
But cars built with alternative fuel and power in mind, can really kick ass.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mine's LPG as there's little to no infrastructure here for CNG (Ignoring bus depots)

All these Electrics are ok until you crash one then they're an enviromental nightmare.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Mass: Have you ever driven the Prius? I have..You can go to the dealer and test drive them, They actually encourage it! It's a pretty different feeling to be able to chirp the tires without hearing the motor run, I admit. Still cool though....:)

Ian: LPG and CNG are pretty close to the same thing arn't they? Sorry I dragged you into OT bud...;) Glad your here though..

Natural gas: A mixture of hydrocarbon gases that occurs with petroleum deposits, principally methane together with varying quantities of ethane, propane, butane, and other gases, and is used as a fuel and in the manufacture of organic compounds.

Everything is enviromentally bad until it gets recycled...

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Yep, IJ is right on this one, and I'm interested to see how your friends in the liberal elite media will treat the electric cars when a few people have acid burns, and other toxic damage from the batteries? (So far, they have been very lucky in my opinion that one of the poster children like the dude from Titanic has not crashed and chemical burned...

On my side of the repair industry, there are some guide lines we have to follow about electric cars. Basicly don't touch them till the battery pack has been removed. (Seriously.) The fire departements and tow truck operators were the first to find out just how dangerous these cars could be if not handled right. (It is not the volts that kill you, but the amps. If the amps don't get you, the caustic acid and vapors the nickel/metal/hydryide and sodium type batteries can create.

You blew off the post noting that electric power pollutes more than most combustion engines right now as a result of stifled nuclear and hydro power plant construction. (So same amount of power used by your car takes MORE hydrocarbons to burn to produce the energy you use in your "Green" electric car.. it in reality produces more emmisions than a normal vehicle... ) Yep, there you go, saving the envirionment... And losing BTU's in the process.

So, can a electric car be fast, fun to drive and have style? Sure, why not?
Is that electric car going to be anything more than a play toy for the liberal elite environmentalists who buy and drive them? No, and they will do just like you did and blow off the fact that they are polluting more than the guy who's in the hybrid or normal ULEV engine vehicle buring very plentiful hydrocarbons they can buy at any gas station right now. (no expense in infastructure, or need to convert, there is no shortage of hydrocarbons, just a shortage of knowlege..)

Neat cars.
I'll keep what I have thank you very much, and pollute less as a result. :)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yea I had to drive one around a dealer lot when they first came out like 3 years ago, It is alittle strange haha, my friends mom just got a hybrid Highlander, and it is different to see it "start up" and drive away and not make a sound until you hit 40mph or so.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I have an idea.

Let's pass laws that are totally green.

If you choose to use an electric car, or hybrid car that you charge up off the power grid at night, you have to spend money to install wind or solar power generation to charge your car so you don't create more pollution and power needs to the already overtaxed eletrical power supplies we have right now.

I think that's fair don't you?

Makes perfect sense to me. Your advocating "green" change, and I'm just making sure you play by the rules.

:)

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
id like to know how they make it go so fast. i know that an electric motor produces its most torque at 1 rpm or start up. they had to have had that thing geared with like a 20 speed tranny.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Adjuster said:
Yep, IJ is right on this one, and I'm interested to see how your friends in the liberal elite media will treat the electric cars when a few people have acid burns, and other toxic damage from the batteries? (So far, they have been very lucky in my opinion that one of the poster children like the dude from Titanic has not crashed and chemical burned...

On my side of the repair industry, there are some guide lines we have to follow about electric cars. Basicly don't touch them till the battery pack has been removed. (Seriously.) The fire departements and tow truck operators were the first to find out just how dangerous these cars could be if not handled right. (It is not the volts that kill you, but the amps. If the amps don't get you, the caustic acid and vapors the nickel/metal/hydryide and sodium type batteries can create.

And no one has ever been killed or burned in a gasoline car fire? It is just one new tech, there are others, and they will all be improved!

You blew off the post noting that electric power pollutes more than most combustion engines right now as a result of stifled nuclear and hydro power plant construction. (So same amount of power used by your car takes MORE hydrocarbons to burn to produce the energy you use in your "Green" electric car.. it in reality produces more emmisions than a normal vehicle... ) Yep, there you go, saving the envirionment... And losing BTU's in the process.

No, I have not blown off anything. I said I would get into it later.:icon_razz

So, can a electric car be fast, fun to drive and have style? Sure, why not?
Is that electric car going to be anything more than a play toy for the liberal elite environmentalists who buy and drive them? No, and they will do just like you did and blow off the fact that they are polluting more than the guy who's in the hybrid or normal ULEV engine vehicle buring very plentiful hydrocarbons they can buy at any gas station right now. (no expense in infastructure, or need to convert, there is no shortage of hydrocarbons, just a shortage of knowlege..)

Again with the libral crap?? It wont happen over night Adjuster, With you in power, I am sure you will do everything you can to stop it..:evil2:

Neat cars.
I'll keep what I have thank you very much, and pollute less as a result. :)
I agree, I like them...;)