*Project sideways supra*

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
tErbo b00st;1810891 said:
If the unsprung disc sucks, I've had really good luck with ACT sprung 6 puck. Shit takes a beating and hasn't skipped a beat.

Thanks and yeah thats what i will most likely go with if this clutch sucks..

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
I would love feedback from someone who has used an unsprung clutch on a supra with an r154.. I know the r154 is weak compared to the v160 but its still a pretty strong trans and i know a honda buddy runs an unsprung clutch in his little eg hatch with no problems other than just the harsh engagement but my question is if a honda civic trans can take the abuse of a unsprung that why will it destroy the r154? Mabe its and older r154 that could use a rebuild anyway and the unsprung clutch was the last straw before it let go? I swear the r154 has to be stronger than the honda civics trans.. I also know a 240 guy who runs an unsprung and no problems with his trans "yet".. So this it will destroy your r154 talk is it what you herd through the grapevine or is it actual first hand experience?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
NokaoiMK3;1811222 said:
I would love feedback from someone who has used an unsprung clutch on a supra with an r154..

I have

NokaoiMK3;1811222 said:
I know the r154 is weak compared to the v160 but its still a pretty strong trans and i know a honda buddy runs an unsprung clutch in his little eg hatch with no problems other than just the harsh engagement but my question is if a honda civic trans can take the abuse of a unsprung that why will it destroy the r154? Mabe its and older r154 that could use a rebuild anyway and the unsprung clutch was the last straw before it let go? I swear the r154 has to be stronger than the honda civics trans.. I also know a 240 guy who runs an unsprung and no problems with his trans "yet".. So this it will destroy your r154 talk is it what you herd through the grapevine or is it actual first hand experience?

A Honda Civic is a 2,000 lb front wheel drive car.
A Supra is a 3,600+ lb rear wheel drive car.
A 240SX may be RWD, but it's also around 2,000 lbs...

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Not to mention the 7M-GTE is a torque monster. Few 4 cylinder boxes can make the torque that a 7M does, especially down low where the loads and stress levels are the highest on the drivetrain.

2nd gear tends to be the one that blows apart. As mentioned, if you drive it correctly, it can last a while. If you dog on it, and power shift it, it's not going to last long.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Supracentral;1811226 said:
I have

A Honda Civic is a 2,000 lb front wheel drive car.
A Supra is a 3,600+ lb rear wheel drive car.
A 240SX may be RWD, but it's also around 2,000 lbs...

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Not to mention the 7M-GTE is a torque monster. Few 4 cylinder boxes can make the torque that a 7M does, especially down low where the loads and stress levels are the highest on the drivetrain.

2nd gear tends to be the one that blows apart. As mentioned, if you drive it correctly, it can last a while. If you dog on it, and power shift it, it's not going to last long.

SC knows his stuff man. And it is true. Look at it this way, take a bolt, put it in a vise and tap on the side of it with a hammer. Not a girly tap, but something with somewhat force. Now do that repeatedly over and over again for about 10 min. Either the bolt will get bent or sheared off. Similar to what that unsprung disc will do to the gears.

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
So did the first street test drive and the unsprung hub feels good.. Not as harsh as i would of thought.. but the car runs and pulls great! need more boost and a new tune but yeah she is a mean bitch haha..

nrdriver

Mar 2, 2012
salem oregon
looks like a great build. i hate to she the shit talking about the 7m and 1jz though. either engine is great and upgradin a 7m is the cheaper way for some of us that can do it ourselves. just depends on your personality. just like chevy guys fightin over small vs big blocks. who cares. still..... nice build dude

nrdriver

Mar 2, 2012
salem oregon
im also a transmission tech and im just waitin for you to shatter the teeth off your lower gears but it seems like you have the money to fix it so have fun till then

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
nrdriver;1815661 said:
looks like a great build. i hate to she the shit talking about the 7m and 1jz though. either engine is great and upgradin a 7m is the cheaper way for some of us that can do it ourselves. just depends on your personality. just like chevy guys fightin over small vs big blocks. who cares. still..... nice build dude

Cool thanks man i agree.. And yeah we will see with the trans.. so far so good.. and i got some vids of me messing around with it that ill post up

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
Yeah alberts twins are the shit!! And yeah just a little mess around vid.. No dyno yet i still need a boost controller and a new tune from tony at ums tuning..

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
So i raced and r6 and gixxer 600 last night and pulled on them both in the top of 4th and grabbing 5th.. They jumped out on me in first and second but i cought em by fourth and passed em in 4th and then pulled hard on them in 5th.. Pretty crazy being able to pull on street bikes..