Project: Git'R driving...a VERY short build

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looking good, going to be a super clean dd. Im actually looking to sell my truck to get cheaper dd with no payment on the moment. This thread was my first thought but unfortunately I need a 4dr in case I have to take a car seat........:(

Leaning towards an 328i or 330i e46 or a subaru.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Small update:
Just got home from a 3 day trip, and the fuel pump was waiting for me. If the weather is good tomorrow,
I'll reinstall the tank, and see if I can crank the motor. I'm not even sure how long it's been since it last ran.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So I just installed the new fuel pump...
MAN, is it small.

Here's a pic of the oem pump, a TRE performance pump(old), and the Keyshan pump(255lph) that I just got. The pen I've had for a long time, and is just there for reference.

20150529-094652-zpsncgfdshu.jpg

And here it is, on the bracket.

20150529-111007-zpsdfjnbflx.jpg

The fuel filter looked pretty new, and I saw the receipt from when it was installed. But, since there was a brand new oem filter in the pile of parts I had received with this car,
there was no reason not to replace it.

20150529-114947-zpsr0as9hal.jpg
So the tank's back in, and the pump runs from the diagnostic port, so that's an improvement.
Time for a lunch break, then we'll see what's left to connect. :)

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Oops, forgot to update yesterday. So some good news and bad news:

Got the fuel system primed, and checked for leaks, all good.
Removed the efi fuse, and cranked it for about 10 seconds to build up oil pressure.
Didn't see any. Stopped cranking, and started wondering how much oil was in the pan.
Checked dipstick, facepalmed myself, and drove to the autoparts store and bought 5qts of oil.
Put oil in motor, cranked again, see some oil pressure.
Reinstalled efi fuse, cranked, and after about 10 seconds, she fired up, and idled absolutely beautifully.
Turned it off, got out to check for leaks, and see that half the oil i poured into it, has poured out of it...onto the driveway.

So...i discovered that the oil appeared to be coming from the underside of the turbo, and conclude that the gasket must be bad. REALLY bad. Spend the next 45 minutes removing maf, intake, DP, shields, ic pipes, brackets and feed drain lines, and turbo.
I look at the feed connection at the turbo, and the nuts arent even finger tight! Just threaded on! Also, the feed line banjo had no crush washers on it, so it had started leaking from there too. The gaskets themselves looked okay, but i decided to order new oem ones anyway. So reassembly will have to wait till monday, at the earliest.
In the meantime, i got a start on the spring swap, and did the front pair in about an hour.

20150529-173537-zps2vfff8ee.jpg

20150529-174314-zpsk6fssyoq.jpg
Hopefully, ill have better news after the weekend.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks.
I installed my CSF radiator, oem shroud and fans yesterday, but when I filled it with water to test for leaks, it started pouring out of the heater core-to-coolant pipe area, at the rear, under the egr.
Ironically, I bought an entire silicone hose kit, mainly because this particular hose was shot, and I figured at that point, I may as well get all-new hoses that would last forever.
But the ONLY hose in the kit, that didn't fit snugly on its pipe, was this one. It kinda slid on too easily, but I thought that the clamp would overcome this. I was wrong.
So now I have to get the proper hose, and this is about the most difficult to reach hose on the motor. ugh.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks, RHD.
Since I have to wait for the hose till tomorrow, I put out a few small fires today.

#1: Trim on this car was an issue when I got it. Namely, the smaller strip on the trim was shrunken in places, and peeling off the main trim.
So I started working on that today.

Nasty trim tape, all fouled. This section's trim strip(rear driver) wasn't even attached at all, it was in the hatch.

20150602-121205-zpszgucd4sg.jpg
After cleaning it off:

20150602-121214-zps0uwlzydr.jpg
A few supplies:

20150602-121347-zpstey7ehda.jpg
Tape in place:

20150602-124422-zpsn3sb8qnu.jpg
Trim back on:

20150602-125508-zpstczbetf8.jpg
One side done, other side still to do.

20150602-150623-zpsnduf2nqi.jpg
Also, I replaced the missing inner splash panel, as well as the missing passenger mudflap. Looks better this way.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Okay...Replacing springs on the rear of a TEMS car SUCKS.
I had to half-remove the rear seat side panel, as well as the rear hatch plastic, just to get the TEMS cover off!
So now I'm halfway done with ONE side of the rear...

20150604-200111-zps9bvciw3m.jpg

Then, when I got the old spring off, I found that the oem bumpstop was crumbling in my hands, so I went to Autozone and picked up some replacements.

20150604-204303-zpskk9xq6ya.jpg
My goal is to get the spring work done today, then replace the leaking coolant line. Also, I have to have to go up to the tire shop to have new Toyo's put on my spare set of XXR's.
I was originally going to buy a set of TT rims, but nobody local has them, and since I had the XXR's sitting in boxes, I figured I should save money and just make use of them instead.
Pics to follow this afternoon, hopefully.

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Looks like a nice build! Any more pictures of the exhaust on the car? I have a superdragger sitting on the side of my house waiting to be installed.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'll get some today.
just finished installing the rear springs. I'm presently sitting at the tire shop,
waiting for them to get my wheels set up.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Finally received the coolant hose I needed. I prolly won't be able to get to it till Sunday or Monday.

Also, I received my replacement deck for the car; Not stock, but looks stock and adds cd function.

20150605-112312-zpsth2io5m1.jpg
Got the new Toyo's put on the old wheels, they look good enough for me.

Here's a before and after shot, showing the wheels, and height change(subtle):

20150508-200557-zpsr6xgfu2g.jpg

20150605-195105-zps36ytuod8.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Got the new deck in, seems to work well.
It also got rid of all the buzz and noise of the old unit.

20150608-185957-zpsw-2iw8bld.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, things left to do to the car:

Replace one heater core hose
Connect reverse light switch at transmission
Replace tail light gaskets
Install wiper arms

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
3 out of 4 aint bad...
Installed wiper arms, connected reverse light, and installed the heater hose.
Also filled and bled the brake system. Then took the car for its very first drive. Just to the top of my street and back.
She did just fine, no issues. At first, the idle was unstable and it would stall. Diagnosed a rusted shut idle valve, so i disassembled it and lubed it up. The only code i developed, was 31, afm. After checking it with a multimeter and seeing that it was bad, i swapped in another one that was included in the sale. I stole it from a Lexus maf, and although the part number was different (-11 vs. -10), she purred like a kitten. No more codes.
Here is the final list, of the final items necessary to make the car an ideal daily driver:

Replace drivers window switch
Add fuel/ check gauge
Fix rear head coolant leak(a dribble)
Replace tail light gaskets
Install ST sway bars
Fix antenna mast
Fix hood squirters(broken)
Fix coolant warning light(stays on)
Fix passenger seat(seatback adjustment is loose)
Clean out blower motor(leaves)
Replace fan resistor(low doesn't work)
Replace front speakers(right side blown)
Degrease underside
Repair/Replace steering wheel(leather is crummy)
Paint upper rear window trim
Paint front and rear bumpers
Evacuate and charge ac
Steam clean interior
Detail

I will register and insure it this week, hopefully.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looking good! I still really dig that interior. Now get back to work on the real build!

Did you ever get a chance to snap a pic of that console lid?