Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
i couldn't find a direct link to the r154 rebuild on jack's page but doing a search found me the rebuild page with only stage 3 offered for $1699

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Build Update as of November 24, 2014

Where the car sits now:

7MGTE Rebuilt (no headwork done so cams and valves are stock)
- Wiseco Pistons
- Polished crank and rods
- shimmed oil pum
1000 ID Injectors
Denso MKIV Fuel pump (and reconditioned fuel tank)
HKS Longrunner Manifold (reconditioned)
*using a .75" spacer so I can swap in a QSV next year*
SP6262 0.68 ar Turbo installed
Tial 44mm Wastegate
HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3 Standalone Timing/fuel control
HKS ECS boost controller
True HKS BOV
Innovate Wideband
DM Upgraded Intercooler for the 7M (CXRacing version)
HKS 3000 pipe and custom piping up top and to stock airbox with stock airfilter
New AC Components (fully functional A/C now in car)
SPEC 2+ Clutch installed with swapped out disc for an OEM disc (new)
Koyo Rad
Powder coated (to match car) intake manifold/plenum and valve covers
Stage 3 (Jack Transmission) built R154 (Currently have a spare R154 in garage)
Brembo rotors with stock MK3 calipers (no bbk yet)
3" vband custom DP with wastegate vented to atmosphere mated to a HKS twin-tip 3" Catback

The car is running solid as far as I can tell and it doesn't seem that the cratered R154 I had did any damage when it locked up. The coolant was pumping out of the reservoir, but it appears it was simply a weak rad cap. Have taken the car out for a run and it all seems to be working fine. Going to RCTS today for a final view at a small leak from the transmission (guessing its from the speedo gear).

The R154 that Jack sent me to replace the poorly done one is from a 89+ Supra so it had a different speedo gear internally. This made my car run at 15 kph faster than normal. RCTS sourced me a matched speedo external gear (Toyota 33403-19235) that made it so my 18" wheels actually make the car only 3 kph faster (at high speeds) now. This is better than original where I was 5 kph faster on the speedo than what I was doing actual.

Jack Transmission paid for all the repairs. They do truly stand behind their work 100%!

So... took it out for a burn last night for the full Stony trail (from South to 16th NW) at about 130-150 kph and then through Sarcee to Glenmore to Deerfoot to home. The car performed remarkably well although with the colder pavement, I couldn't keep the wheels on the road when boosting 2nd or 3rd once it really kicked in (4200-4600 rpm.. a little too late for my taste). Definitely going to add the QSV next year.

The engine is idling purrfectly (smoothest 7M idle that RCTS has heard) and the only problems I have is a bit of heat soak if I park it for 15 minutes after a long run and then get back in it. It throws my AFR's off a little until I get driving again for about 2-4 minutes. Not a big issue, but something I will want to address later.

The body has a little damage from the tow (rear bumper add-on has a 1" hole in it) and rock chips on the front bumper and hood. Hoping to have all this dealt with next year with a respray and 3M protector on the front and rock areas. Going to have to drill drain holes on the rear bumper addons because they are like cups holding the water if I go through a puddle or wash the car. The whale tail is excellent on the car, however, I want to make it into a 3 piece so that I don't have to hoist the whole tail when I lift the hatch. That will take a little $$.

Interior probably wont happen until 2016 because I still want to rustproof and tint the windows (and get body/paint final). Going to need to get all the steering fixed as well which will set me back another 3k+. Then finally get a different set of wheels on the car. Either staying 18 with wider rear (go from 9.5 to 10") or 17" rear with 18" front. I would like a little more hook because the tires just like breaking free.

I am planning to add Tanabe sway bars, although I am considering White as well. Wouldn't mind some comments regarding this if anyone has input.

At this point, I am probably 2 (maybe 3) years from being complete. Still love the car and do not regret one penny I have put into it.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doing the leak, it was the oring on the speedo cable. Changed the trans fluid as well. Was black with a lot of shiny metal flakes.... Will change it again once I have a chance to drive it 3000-5000 km

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Still considering repairing the 7M (Its a good engine still and I have another head that will probably work), going 2jz or doing a LS1/T56 swap.

In the meantime... plugging away on other components. Because I am running 18's my speedo is off a bit (3-5 kph) and most of my driving is done on highway, so I wanted a 3.73 LSD Diff. I found one in excellent condition and freshened it up.

I ended up beadblasting it (after lots of time spent wire brushing and sanding rust off the housing). I didn't have the full gear so learned in stages that you need to be covered completely and have a dust mask on... lol. Live and learn... ouch.

After getting it drained, cleaned and rust removed, I painted 3 coats (thin) of POR-15. I let that cure (dries like an enamel plating... like a bathtub) and then hit it with a Black gloss engine paint for 3 coats. Because this was done in Lloydminster and Calgary (I took it with me when I went to visit my daughter), the protection for the threads disappeared and I have some paint on them. The POR-15 "chips" off, so the nuts can just chase off any of that during install.

Jeff supplied me with the Toyota LSD oil and new drain/fill plugs with crush washers and a new breather valve. I torqued the lower drain plug to 36 ft. lbs and the fill plug to 26 ft. lbs. No idea if this is the correct torque, but I didn't want to go 36 ft. lbs on the back fill plug because its aluminum. Hopefully I did it correctly. Now it has approximately 1.35 litres of lube in (maybe slightly more because there was still a little bit of old stuff in there.. not sure how much). New LSD OIL ONLY sticker as well

Here's the pics:

IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My car has a 3.9 diff currently. No reason to switch other than I think the 3.73 will just suit my driving pattern far better. I rarely do any hard pulls in first/second, my boost is usually third/fourth. Most of my driving is highway. This was solely because I found someone parting with the diff for a really good price.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IMG_1304.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1489.JPGIMG_1490.JPGIMG_1491.JPGIMG_1492.JPG

Bit of an update... I cleaned up a 3.73 LSD Diff and its currently on the car.

New diff lube (Toyota LSD fluid), new breather cap, new decal (for LSD) and new plug. Wire brush and bead blasted.

I find the fuel economy suffers a little with this setup, but highway is improved due to the taller gearing. Can't judge diff sound because the damn car is noisy without the interior! :)

Painted with POR-15 (no primer, just straight on metal... including the back cover)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Also, copying my post from the Wheel Fitment post...

This is my new wheel setup. You can judge the offset by the pics...

RTX Mystique Machined/Black ET38 (offset) | HB 73.1 | 18 x 8.0 | 5x114.3 Front RIMS
Falken FK-453 235/40 FRONT
RTX Mystique Machined/Black ET42 (offset) | HB 73.1 | 18 x 890 | 5x114.3 Rear RIMS
Falken FK-453 265/35R18 REAR

I found that the Falken has a rounded sidewall which allows for the 265 on a 9" rim. Any wider (275's) and I get pretty tight to the inside of the wheel area, so I opted to live with the 265's.
No rub, no roll, no pull. Fits pretty snug. The 235's on the front are wide enough to make the car ride road ridges (which is a bit uncomfortable) but gives me plenty of traction... (for street driving)

Car has ST Swaybars and HSD Coilovers with about a 1" drop (looks a bit more). This is a bit too low for my roads.. I tap with my front bumper.

(excuse the dust... no chance to detail the car ... lol.)

IMG_2717.jpgIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2720.jpgIMG_2721.jpgIMG_2722.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have the bill somewhere, the LSD sticker was under 10 bucks from the stealership and the fluid was reasonable. I bought 2 bottles, but only used the one plus a little from the second.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Seeing as this is becoming a bit more active... I thought I should actually update my build post.

I have bad news and good news about the car really.

I will have a second post following this one about the good news.

So... bad news. (photos) my 88 was decimated while taking a left turn and clearing the intersection at a yellow turned red. A young lass decided brakes are optional when the light goes red and paying attention while driving is for the weak. I recieved a good lesson on the importance of seatbelts (unless your into licking radiators...) as I have never been hit that hard. My car was thrown 3 lanes over by the impact. Was as close to head-on as I ever want to get.

This was my 3rd accident in a Toyota. Still... no injuries (other than a bruised chest from the seatbelt holding me in the car). I should note... this is about 15 minutes after dropping my granddaughter off... so I have a lot of little things to be thankful for.

IMG_4049a.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: awsom-0

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Good news.

A local person I have come to know fairly well in the Supra scene (Tyler) and his dad (Lawrence) came to view the carnage that was gracing the floor of my garage. Turns out they had a rust free 87 burgandy shell. After a massive amount of care and effort, they transferred my 7M, R154, suspension, wheels, a new fender I had, my 89+ bumper I had sitting along with a Shine auto lip and Kaminari 3 piece wing. (thats being minimalistic... ) The car was stripped and the interior gone over and painted (including jambs), engine bay was cleaned and painted and car was entirely painted. The company (UrbanX) in Calgary that sold me my wheels replaced the bent rim at cost.

**note: my '88 had rust on the doors, front fenders and wheel wells (rear). I had all that repaired (twice) and the car painted in 2012. However, the rust was already reappearing in the wells. This '87 has never seen that issue... and hopefully never will as I do not drive in winter and try very hard to avoid driving in rain period.**

So.. in the end... I am left with this... __IMG_4234.JPGTHE DONOR (Above) - 1987 Burgandy Shell

IMG_4747a.jpgTHE RESULT (above) with Kaminari 3 Piece wing, 89+ tails, HKS twin tip exhaust showing, Shine Side skirts (from 88), KevinM sunshade

IMG_4748a.jpg
(above) Shine Auto lip with 89+ bumper, smoke signal lenses, Shine bumper insert. whole front end is 3M protected now. (intercooler peeking is from 88 as well)

IMG_4751a.jpg
Before/After on my "reveal day".

Tyler and his dad spent a lot of time fitting the sideskirts, 3 piece wing and lip properly as well as molding the bumper insert so it was seamless. Amazing work and you can just see the attention to detail that went into the car.

However... that isn't the end of the story. (I need some pics and am awaiting for the next stage completion before I add the next post)

As a note... there are amazing people in this world. You will run into them and some you just won't notice. Others actually notice you and will go out of their way to make your life better. There is no value that you can place on those people. They serve as a reminder to stop and think about those around you. If you can make someone else's life better in any way, try to take the time to do it. I believe that is the main reason we are put on this planet. Not to enrich ourselves... but to enrich those around us. Everyone you lift up is just a little weight off of yourself. We all need to rise together.

Attachments

• 74627036_10162433415740384_8409555393021214720_n.jpg
    74627036_10162433415740384_8409555393021214720_n.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
That's painful, glad you are ok.

I managed to dodge someone going through an intersection.
Luckily the person behind me was far enough back I could reverse JUST in time.
Otherwise their vehicle would have taken the entire front clip off my Supra.

These days I am always in defensive driving mode, there are sooo many crazy drivers out there.
All hours of the day, 5AM or 9:30 PM see them every time I drive.

Nice work on the new shell !
Looks good.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's painful, glad you are ok.

I managed to dodge someone going through an intersection.
Luckily the person behind me was far enough back I could reverse JUST in time.
Otherwise their vehicle would have taken the entire front clip off my Supra.

These days I am always in defensive driving mode, there are sooo many crazy drivers out there.
All hours of the day, 5AM or 9:30 PM see them every time I drive.

Nice work on the new shell !
Looks good.
Thanks for the comments! : )

Definitely crazy drivers... and where I live is super bad. People lately tend to think the lanes mean nothing and that traffic lights are put up only for Christmas decorations or something...

Weird thing is... used to be a lot of fast drivers (which I am used to), but today... 100 kph = 80 kph in most people's head. I think they realize that they can't drive and assume nobody else can either... so they are now afraid of driving any decent speed. Annoying...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Same thing here, lanes are only a suggestion.
I get passed regularly in construction areas on a single lane.

Everyone is angry at all times, some old crazy dude flipped me off in my residential area for going the speed limit and using my blinker.
No paitence, no respect for others.

Weird thing is that it's everyone doing this, all ages, even some old lady in a Hyundai was driving like a complete lunatic.
I know because she parked at the same grocery store I did, speeding didn't get her there any faster.
Was expecting her to start sprinting through the store, didn't happen. Just strolling lackadaisically.
LOL, insanity.

I installed a front and rear dashcam to my daily driver a number of years ago because of it.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Hey Grant, just ran into this thread and it has been a very interesting read to say the least. Your new build looks incredible, thanks for the HKS pipe!

Reactions: Grandavi

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Damn Grant- I didn't know this happened to you.
A HELL of a rebuild on that new shell- amazing. Glad that it all worked out in the end.