Progressing Power Steering Stopped Working After Oil Change?

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi All,

I have a pretty interesting scenario as my car had fully functioning PPS (albeit it sometimes felt a little vague, but was none the less power steering) until my last oil+filter change which I did three days ago.

I accidentally did the mistake of leaving the reds on for about 30 minutes and then after I lowered the car from its side I then proceeded to reverse her out and steering felt dead. Not as dead as the car turned off but boy was it a workout.

Did some research on here searching old threads and have since performed the reservoir maintenance and it was full of gunk the mesh was completely black and it was amazing anything ever worked based on that.

I have since cleaned the reservoir mesh and replaced the fluid in the power steering system but I still now have no power steering. I have also read on a thread that Ian mentions the speed sensor?

Can anyone give me any idea's as to what may be going on here?

Did I burn the pps ecu by leaving the reds on?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also if it's the pps ecu that needs to be checked, where would I find it?

Many thanks guys!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Errr... the 'reds'?

Check that the PPS is still plugged in... wire that goes to the steering rack on the driver's side. When you refilled it, you used ATF instead of regular power steering fluid, correct?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
did you manage to unplug either of the vacuum lines from the PS pump or the accordian hose? check to make sure those are plugged in.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
GrimJack;1385826 said:
Errr... the 'reds'?

Check that the PPS is still plugged in... wire that goes to the steering rack on the driver's side. When you refilled it, you used ATF instead of regular power steering fluid, correct?

I'll check for the wire when I get home in an hour or so.

I used Dexron III ATF fluid for the steeing yep. :)

adampecush;1385828 said:
did you manage to unplug either of the vacuum lines from the PS pump or the accordian hose? check to make sure those are plugged in.

When I did the reservoir clean-up I had a syringe that I sucked out most of the fluid with to start, and then took both vacuum lines off so I could get the reservoir out to clean it with brake cleaner/spray.

I unplugged all I thought was in the way of the reservoir & bracket (afm, sensors around thermostat) and then put them all back in.

I just find it very odd that power steering seems to have become very heavy (not as heavy as no powersteering at all, but not far from it)

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1386155 said:
LOL I have NFI what he means so we'll see when he answers :D

Sorry guys, by reds I meant when you turn the key all the way to the "ON" position just after accessories, but not to start it. So all electrics are on, dash is lit up which isn't apparently good for a car if it's for a prolonged period?

That's all I did wrongly I thought throughout my procedure of performing the oil + filter swap which I've done 5-6times already before.

Excuse my cheap explanation of 'reds'...:nono:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1386195 said:
Couldn't see that affecting the PPS Vas.

Thanks Ian, just trying to rule out as much as I can to try and diagnose this a little better.

I"ll be going under the car shortly and I'll check to ensure the PPS is still all plugged in properly.

Probably another jack up then release will fix it! :sarcasm: haha.. you could only dream.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks guys for making me look for a connector, I found the culprit and I was surprised it stayed on as long as it did. The plug wasn't connected and it amazed me how much downward pressure the bottom end of the plug had.

I reconfigured the wiring a little to make it easier to connect and then with some finger action was able to connect it again and it's now all OK.

Now that I also cleaned the reservior I have never felt better power steering in my life.

Couldn't believe that the plug controlled whether or not the car had power steering as I thought a lot of it was mechanical/hydraulic but the PPS is obviously different.

Cheers guys... really appreciate the help I received. :icon_bigg

15082009052sm.jpg