problem starting, starter is fine

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
My 88 supra won't start. I took the starter off and took it to napa, it tested fine. Then I thought it would be the clucth switch but that was fine. I need help. Please give me ideas to try and get it started.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
details buddy... we need more details if you want help. does it make noise? is it getting power and ground? check your fuses?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Mine clicks like it isn't getting enough power. If I click it enough the click gets louder and then it starts. New alt, starter, and battery.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Welcome to the site! You will learn to love it around here. You'll probably be told to post questions in the right section. You'll also probably get told to search. That being said, here's a little help.

Our cars are old, and wiring is just as old. There is a relay posted on here to help with weak wiring. Turn your key to the on position. Remove the wiring harness plug from the solenoid. Then take the battery cable loose from the starter. Carefully, without touching anything else with the battery cable, touch to the electrode in the solenoid. It should turn the car over. This will back up Napa and tell you the starter is fine. It will also rule out problems with your battery. That would leave only wiring, as long as your relay is clicking in the passenger kick panel when you turn the key. If it's wiring, either add the relay, or replace the old wiring harness.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
kotu100;1320227 said:
details buddy... we need more details if you want help. does it make noise? is it getting power and ground? check your fuses?

all the fuses are fine, it is grounded, does not click like it is not getting enough power, just doesn't engage the starter

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Check the battery Terminal connections & make sure they are tight & clean. I had the same problem. Turned out that the Neg. Terminal connector was bad. The Neg cable was barely connected. I pulled the connector from the cable with little effort. I cleaned it up & replaced the connector with a new one.

HTH

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
I've done everything I can to fix my problem. New wires, connectors, starter, alternator. It all started when I switched over to a manual transmission.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Am I really the first one to suggest that the worn out factory theft deterrent might be causing this?

The ground circuit for the starter relay is switched by the alarm box. This switch wears out and the ground isn't made and the car won't start.

Search for factory alarm bypass. Its been covered before. I'm posting from my phone so I don't have it with me but if you pm me I'll send you a write up from home.

Collin

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
got_boosted;1321747 said:
Am I really the first one to suggest that the worn out factory theft deterrent might be causing this?

The ground circuit for the starter relay is switched by the alarm box. This switch wears out and the ground isn't made and the car won't start.

Search for factory alarm bypass. Its been covered before. I'm posting from my phone so I don't have it with me but if you pm me I'll send you a write up from home.

Collin

This is the thread to bypass the stock alarm.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1515#post1515

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
NTR if This all started when youdid the manual swap.

Did you in fact wire the neutral start wires to the clutch switch? that is how I and many others did the wiring part of the swap.

If you did not, and simply did the bypass of the neutral start wires I would suggest you check your work.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
got_boosted;1321747 said:

Collin

Two people are posting with similar issues. If you hear clicking, then its not the alarm. If you don't hear clicking, try locking and unlocking the PS door with the key to reset the alarm.