Power steering reservoir relocating

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
You can drive an A70 just fine without power steering. Parallel parking it is another story, but I've done that, too. If it's bad enough to CRUSH the reservoir, then it's probably done other damage that's more likely to make it undriveable.

I'm not much of a bling person, I will take functionality, unless there's a performance reason to upgrade. The PS fluid reservoir isn't going to give me any performance, so the stock unit is fine. I WOULD however like to have a better mounting solution than the one that I used in my '89 for the last few years. (Using a piece of twisted wire to hang it from a T-clamp bolt on my upper IC piping. Total ghetto solution, though it worked...) So this time I intend to not do something "good enough for now" since experience has shown me that "for now" will extend until I run out of anything else that I might want to get done on any project with any of my far too numerous hobbies. I have a lot of projects with things that were good enough to get things working "for now" and have been left that way since. (Though I suppose this means that it really was good enough, since it lasted...)

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Any grown man can handle a Mk3 without power steering. It might not be comfortable but definitely manageable. Plus, if a wreck was bad enough to push the crash bar in, I highly doubt you would be driving the car anywhere

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^Agreed, tho the PS cooler is up front also. When I relocated my reservoir, I used a small 6x8 aftermarket cooler, in a lower corner, between the condensor and radiator. Still a heat source in front of the radiator, but not-so-different than stock.

I agree tho about adding heat sources...

With the 7M, I did everything I could, to reduce the amount of heat the radiator had to handle and would never put anything in front of it to block or introduce more heat in that area. I even hardwired my A/C helper fans to "on," in one of my previous MKIIIs. Have never had an overheating issue w/my 2Js (and am not using the stock shroud).

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
So your NA ps reservoirs are the same as 1g/ga70?
ga70's here are far far more common that na 7m's lol, think I've personally seen 2.

So the same as the one I use?
engine221107.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I decided to move mine to the shock tower to allow for the 4" intake pipe. I think it looks best there is you retain the metal stocker and don't go to the plastic n/a reservoir.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Dan_Gyoba;1956155 said:
You can drive an A70 just fine without power steering. Parallel parking it is another story, but I've done that, too. If it's bad enough to CRUSH the reservoir, then it's probably done other damage that's more likely to make it undriveable.

I'm not much of a bling person, I will take functionality, unless there's a performance reason to upgrade. The PS fluid reservoir isn't going to give me any performance, so the stock unit is fine. I WOULD however like to have a better mounting solution than the one that I used in my '89 for the last few years. (Using a piece of twisted wire to hang it from a T-clamp bolt on my upper IC piping. Total ghetto solution, though it worked...) So this time I intend to not do something "good enough for now" since experience has shown me that "for now" will extend until I run out of anything else that I might want to get done on any project with any of my far too numerous hobbies. I have a lot of projects with things that were good enough to get things working "for now" and have been left that way since. (Though I suppose this means that it really was good enough, since it lasted...)

Spanish Surprise;1956156 said:
Any grown man can handle a Mk3 without power steering. It might not be comfortable but definitely manageable. Plus, if a wreck was bad enough to push the crash bar in, I highly doubt you would be driving the car anywhere
You would run your cars without fluid running to the ps-pump? I've crushed the bar against a tow hitch before and bent the bar like a toothpick....then still managed to drive the car back home. The place he has that cooler/reservoir mounted is where I hit the tow-hook. I drove a 280z for many years back in my days so I have no problem driving without ps.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
If my car just had the crash bar pushed like a toothpick, a $50 pump would be the last thing on my mind. So no I'm not worried about that.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Getting OT, but whatever.

In my case, a bad tow job hit my PS rack, so it leaked fluid really bad. At the time, the Supra was the only running car that I had, so yes. I drove it with no fluid in the system. Actually, I removed the PS belt after about a day, and ran it that way for the better part of a year. (Ending when I bought my parts car for the GTE swap, and I installed the PS rack out of it when I swapped the engine.)

As I said, if the car's been hit hard enough to damage that, I'm sure that I've got bigger worries on my mind. Worst case, a used PS pump shouldn't cost too much when added to the repair bill.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
I think ill break out the welder this weekend and build a bracket to move my tank across from the overflow tank. While im at it, a flush wouldnt hurt. and tips or tricks? Ive done flushes before, just wondering if theres any tricks on the supra.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd love to move it somewhere else and I'd like to have it where the stock NA reservoir is but with the stock intake mani my intercooler pipe exits at the stock fender location thus I can't mount it anywhere around there. Also, the coolant reservoir is in it's stock location and most of us still keep it there so I don't even want to debate about that when it comes to a crash. Anyway, I'd love to add a better cooler to this set up but not at the moment.

Suprra_girl: yes that is the NA reservoir a lot of people converted to. I too like it but I think the stock metal one is better, even better once polished.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Scooter7M;1956398 said:
I think ill break out the welder this weekend and build a bracket to move my tank across from the overflow tank. While im at it, a flush wouldnt hurt. and tips or tricks? Ive done flushes before, just wondering if theres any tricks on the supra.

I will be flushing mine soon also. I've never tried this method, but I plan to when I do. It looks like it would work well and be fairly simple.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...rolla-power-steering-fluid-exchange-gen9.html

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
I bought a N/A res a while back before i even realized it wouldnt work since I have the stock intercooler pipes so thats a no-go. ill fab something up.
and T701J, your engine bay is pure sex.