Power steering reservoir relocating

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I've been thinking about tucking a few more things while my car is down. Has anyone done this? I'm not talking about using the na reservoir. I was thinking about mounting a reservoir further up front above the intercooler and hide it with a carbon block off plate. Will that be too low? Any opinions would be helpful... Thanks

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I did mine last week. Exact spot you're talking about. I tried to have my reservoir "above" the pump as it's gravity feed. Although, my line goes down and back up through the intake hole below the headlight it works perfectly fine. I could have had the line not go under and back up but it has a little kink that i didn't really like. Idk if the block off plate could be installed after this but it's so much better. More room for my intake pipe. More room to work around too.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
5/8" line for feed to the pump. No problem with height, since the pump will suck it in, it's not open to air. 3/8" line for the return from the rack. I've got to relocate mine, since the 4" inlet of my turbo won't allow for stock location.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
thats exactly where mine is... except without the plate to hide it :p I moved my horns to one side and had the resevoir on the other and just enough for my intercooler left. but it's not a big one, only the 3" core

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Scooter7M;1955818 said:
+1 for pics

I used a reservoir from a Lincoln Towncar and placed it in front of the driver's side shock tower, by the fusebox... old pic, but should give U an idea/options.

Attachments

• psreservoir.jpg
    psreservoir.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 76

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Satan;1955834 said:
I used a reservoir from a Lincoln Towncar and placed it in front of the driver's side shock tower, by the fusebox... old pic, but should give U an idea/options.

Ive got a 7m with the stock intercooler pipes so this isnt much of an option for me. i love the idea of moving it in front of the radiator though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Moved mine to where the ABS/Charcoal cannister usually sits. My car didn't have ABS so it was a very open space. The lines run up along the AC hardlines. It adds a lot of length to the lines, but performance has been flawless for over a year.

p1955882_1.jpg

p1955882_2.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As long as the resevoir is higher than the pump(and has fluid in it), it should flow to the pump, even if it goes uphill a bit.

Camry resevoir, just behind the headlight. My IC pipes wouldn't allow for the na resevoir, and I hate the turbo unit.

p1955887_1.jpg

p1955887_2.jpg

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
nice ideas guys, i like the franken-ford idea but its a little too big (thats what she said)

ill go hunting the junk yards and get some ideas. id like mine in front of the core support too, perfect place for it imo. thanks for sharing guys!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Yeah, I went junkyarding (& Ebaying) and couldn't find a smaller one (which also looked good) and came across the Towncar. I liked that it was flat/plastic/black, and that I could locate near the hood (looking stockish), but still allowing the hood to shut properly. I still would like a smaller reservoir, but this has been working well for a few years now and looks like it belongs (to the untrained eye).

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I can try to upload pics soon. Currently at work and didn't get to do it last night. Although, there is a huge amount of ppl like the NA reservoir and I used to like it too but I like the turbo metal ones sooo much more. Just my opinion and thus I used it instead of a fully cleaned NA one I had. Also, what lines did you guys use and where did you get it. I had 10 feet of 5/8" and 3/8" laying around so I used it. IDK what temp rating it was at but it was rated at 270 psi. I know these lines are just for flow but I would want a good sustainable system too.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The hoses need to be tranny fluid rated... I got them from Stuart Hoses & Pipe in Lewisville, TX. Here in Tampa Bay, I used to use Goodyear Rubber, but there are various valve/hose/fitting companies everywhere. They have every industrial-spec hose/line you need, by the foot.... just tell 'em what U plan to use it for and they will get U the right stuff. You don't want regular heater hose. It deteriorates on the inside and junks up your PS pump and rack.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Here is 1 picture of where i mount the reservoir. Disregard the white nose piece support :( getting the front end painted this Friday/ weekend hopefully.

Was going to snap a few more pictures today of the lines but it was raining the whole evening.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks good there.
For hoses, I used AN-10 (aka 5/8) Jeg's pushlock hose, and 3/8 transmission cooler hose.
Both are tight fits on the cooler, resevoir and pump.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
akito;1956120 said:
Here is 1 picture of where i mount the reservoir. Disregard the white nose piece support :( getting the front end painted this Friday/ weekend hopefully.

Was going to snap a few more pictures today of the lines but it was raining the whole evening.

What would happen if you get into a minor bumper to bumper accident and crush the cooler/reservoir? You wouldn't be able to drive the car home.....just my .02.