Possible Rolled Back Speedometer?

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm currently looking at a 1989 Supra and the car has pretty low miles. Of course with any old car with low miles, the authenticity is in question. I went to go see this car yesterday and snapped some pics. It's BEAUTIFUL for sure. The car is totally stock and body is damn near perfect. The only thing that bugs me is this picture............

p577929_1.jpg

If you look at the 9, you'll see that it's off from the rest. If you think about it, both the 6 and 9 should be getting ready to roll over at the same time shouldn't they? It should also be when it's getting closer to 70k. I was thinking like 69,8xxx or higher. I'm just really excited about this car, but don't want to get screwed into thinking it's 69k when it's not. The owner claims that he is the second owner, and says he paid for a carfax and the mileage is on. Is there a way to beat Carfax? He purchased the car from up North a few years ago, and it's been sitting in his garage. Thanks for any input and help guys!

Regards,
Eli

Last edited:

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
I will, but is it possible to beat a Carfax? I've got guys who see rolled back cars before and they are skeptical. Just looking for some more eyes to tell me what you see

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
does he have reciepts for any work thats been done to it? by him or the previous owner? because shops should record the mileage of the car when they perform the work.. also here in BC we don't have private insurance so they can pretty much check on the entire history of the car, including mileage.

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
You can roll back a speedo, but carfax/aircare records are far harder to trick.

Look at stuff like seat condition, steering wheel wear, those are always easy sings of rollbacks that the scammers don't take the time to replace as it's too costly.

- Kev

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i'll tell you my odometer looks like that as well but i confirmed with carfax no rollback, i think some of them are just not that great at staying lined up. i am not sure why it happens

but check carfax it is a huge help.

and 6o4turbo makes some good points

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
The guy has all the reciepts from 44k miles to now at 69k. The seats are MINT, the center arm rest is MINT, the dash is MINT. The only thing that shows wear in the interior is the A/C Climate control believe it or not. He's had the car for four years. The mileage in question is from 89-03...44K in 14 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to jynx myself but I'd rather be pissed off before I buy it and find out. I actually want it to be 69K and have a badass MKIII ;)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
its fine....have you ever seen the inner workings of the odometer? its they are damn near impossible to "rollback" without breaking them....

im sure its fine. a lot of clusters done have the numbers 100% percent in line...

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
p577994_1.jpg

p577994_2.jpg

Thanks Jay, that's what I'm looking to hear. I'm imagining that once she hits 70, they'll line up. Just looking for people who've dealt with rolled back cars. I want to be confident ya know ;)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Its hard to track odometers on older cars, because after a certain age, they are exempt from titles... My car has 75,xxx miles on it, but the dash has no tems lights, but there was a tems button set between the seats and looks like it had tems plugs under the hood... When I ran carfax, the last mileage was at 72,xxx back in 2003... So I think the gauge cluster was swapped for a lower mileage one...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Idealsupra said:
its fine....have you ever seen the inner workings of the odometer? its they are damn near impossible to "rollback" without breaking them....

im sure its fine. a lot of clusters done have the numbers 100% percent in line...
I have a 002xxx car I can sell you then, cheap for the milage! You can roll it back after you figure out how to mess with it.. took me an hour of messing with it to finally get it..

If the car is mint and the carfax checks out I would believe the mileage..

edit: i did have to bend a metal bracket peice in order to get to a peice I needed... theres one way of telling, but I doubt the guy will let you disassemble the cluster
jake, want to give me the non tems cluster.. I dont have tems any more in my 2j car and I want to get rid of those stupid lights!

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Idealsupra said:
its they are damn near impossible to "rollback" without breaking them....

Not proud, but I have played with the speedo from a bad N/A cluster. Rolling back is rather easy.

I'd be more concerned with that damn shifter. lol

I wouldn't overpay too much even if the mileage is correct. It does look rather good on the inside.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
ForcedTorque said:
Not proud, but I have played with the speedo from a bad N/A cluster. Rolling back is rather easy.

I'd be more concerned with that damn shifter. lol

I wouldn't overpay too much even if the mileage is correct. It does look rather good on the inside.

i only messed with it for about 20 minutes...but i dont see how you can roll it back without breaking it OR having it completely apart to the point of not being able to reassemble it to actually use....

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
True. I mean, it's not like the car has 16k miles, lol. As stated before, just trying to get a feel from other members that have dealt with this kind of thing. Hopefully you'll see a lot more of this car in the near future ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
RTA Supra said:
True. I mean, it's not like the car has 16k miles, lol. As stated before, just trying to get a feel from other members that have dealt with this kind of thing. Hopefully you'll see a lot more of this car in the near future ;)
car looks mint, though blue interior, auto and white! lol j/k bro! hope everything works out