Possible Rolled Back Speedometer?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
RTA Supra said:
Man this is from back in the day.

I ended up not getting the car. The guy wouldn't budge on the price even after finding tons of shit wrong with the car that he "forgot to tell me about".

Well, since the thread got bumped anyway:

I had a similar situation. I ended up buying a black 89t with 80k on it. I overpaid for the low mileage, and I really do not know why. There were quite a few things that needed to be done. I don't really know why the low odometer reading is so attractive to me (especially on a car like this).

My other option was an 87t with 140k - but it was owned by a supra guy and was completely ready to roll - even had some upgrades that I was going to be doing anyway. I ended up paying about $1800 more - and still needed to do a HG (as the 89 I bought is all original, and I was scared, lol).

On my 600 mile drive home, I also learned the differential would need a rebuild - fun!

Anyway - I had a little buyer's remorse - but every time I walk past the car (on jack stands for a little while now), I am still happy that I found another black targa!

Moral of the story - maintenance+condition > mileage on these cars. Find one that somebody has really cared for.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
Supracentral said:
Just for shits and giggles, what were the things he "forgot'?

1. Gas gauge doesn't work
2. Underbody saturated with tranny fluid
3. CPS seal leaks and smoke pours out of that area after the car turns off
4. Car was hit up front

He was pretty much a dick after I confronted him about it

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Supracentral said:
Just for shits and giggles, what were the things he "forgot'?

I know that was directed at RTA - but that reminds me -

The guy I bought the car from kept telling me that the car had an HKS MHG in it.

Well, thank god I thought to ask about if the car was prepped properly for it! He actually meant that it was in the car - meaning IN the back seat, lol.

That was almost enough to drive me away, but I picked it up anyway.

Here's the kicker - the HG that was "in" the car wasn't an HKS MHG - it was a fel-pro. Anyway, I handed him cash for $1000 less than we had spoken about and called it a day. I still overpaid - and if he wasn't smiling all the way to the bank, he should have been. I still hate this guy, lol:biglaugh:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
RTA Supra said:
1. Gas gauge doesn't work
2. Underbody saturated with tranny fluid
3. CPS seal leaks and smoke pours out of that area after the car turns off
4. Car was hit up front

He was pretty much a dick after I confronted him about it

Sounds like it worked out for the best then. Guage clusters are a 15 minute swap in these cars so I don't trust any odometer readings. It's all about the care it recieved. My car shows 184k which is pretty average. It's in pieces now but I have seen alot worse with a lot less miles.