Pop-out Targa Top

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jordan, it'd be a good idea to get people with relatively stock cars, mildly modded, heavily modded, braced, unbraced, etc... to test for you as well.

that way you might be able to figure out if there's any difference in rigidity.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Jeez Shaeff calm down... We get the Idea... ;)

Hey Jordan, I see your a big hit around these parts... Didn't I tell you like a year ago you should post something up over here??? ;)

jcchildr

Nov 13, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the reply shaeff, great idea!!! I've got a BUNCH of guys lined up now so things are really rolling.

To answer the previous question about modifying the car and/or targa top. I believe I answered that before but the hardware will allow you to return back to stock if you so choose (but why the hell would you? :nono: haha jk)

Pierce,

You were totally right man!!!!

More info to come guys...thanks for the interest and input!

JordanC

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
double post was due to uncleared browser history + the .vb upgrades. ;) (as if it matters)

this almost makes me wish i had a targa. almost

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i am interested in it as well depending on cost. I would love to pop the targe off in a few seconds then spending a minute unbolting it. I would also test it on the extra targa top i have just in case i fail with securing it down lol

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
i like the pop-out idea. i had thought of a different method a while ago that would take too much R&D, but it goes something like this: having the hatch open from the hinge instead of the back, clamshell style, then having the targa top four corners unscrew (with 4 drill motors maybe) and slide back on some rails into it's carrier in the trunk, hatch closes. i know it's nuts, but would be cool at a stop light.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
wade3570;920918 said:
i like the pop-out idea. i had thought of a different method a while ago that would take too much R&D, but it goes something like this: having the hatch open from the hinge instead of the back, clamshell style, then having the targa top four corners unscrew (with 4 drill motors maybe) and slide back on some rails into it's carrier in the trunk, hatch closes. i know it's nuts, but would be cool at a stop light.

Toyota did this already, with the Aerotop Soarers...

jcchildr

Nov 13, 2006
Raleigh, NC
So I've got some updates for you guys:

1) (GOOD) Big thanks to all the PM's sent for testing, I will be in touch with all of you! The fabrication that has begun has shown some good results but I'm still throwing in a few tweaks and going back to some older ideas. So I may end up testing a couple different setups.

2) (BAD) Testing will be pushed to summer (no later than july), I sincerely apologize but I'm coming up on my senior year in college as a pre-med student and bio major so the classes are getting tough! I honestly haven't been able to put in the work I thought I would during this semester, but thankfully the end of the semester approaches and then I will have much more time to devote to this project.

3) To those who have asked about my specific plans I am still reluctant to release information mainly due to the fact that there is someone lurking on here looking to steal someone else's idea and make a quick buck. I do apologize for the lack of information but I want to put out a quality product in a timely fashion with the least cost for everyone. Please be patient and if you have any questions please PM and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks guys!

JordanC