Please help my family out with adoption issues(stickey would be nice)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Description/History:
I am an Australian citizen and have been living in Bali, Indonesia for the past 3yrs, going through a difficult adoption process, while my husband and family are in Australia waiting. I have had KiKi since she was 5 weeks old, she is now 3. We were given a tourist visa to Australia in January, it was valid for 3 months, we only stayed one month. We did not overstay, we returned to Bali.

When I applied again, for a 1 year visa, it was refused as the DIAC officer decided that since I was going to sell my bike and TV - this proved I would never return to Bali with KiKi - it proved to him that I would overstay KiKi's visa. I provided DIAC with sufficient information to show that I would return, but the visa was still rejected.

DIAC hide behind phrases such as ".. what's in the best interest of the child ..". I believe "the best interest of the child", KiKi, is to be with me, her mother, the only mother she has ever known, and be reunited with the rest of her family in Australia. Please note that it is not uncommon here in Bali to find a child (newborn, usually female) dumped in garbage or in the river.

In the past 6 months there have been so many female babies found dumped in the garbage in the area where I live. In 2006, they found 9 babies from January til September, drowned in the river. Remember these are only the ones they find. Abortion is illegal here, this is what they do. If a child is born by cesarean, it costs a lot of money, and it is not unusual for the parents to walk out of the hospital abandoning the child because they cannot afford the high hospital bill.

Australian Immigration authorities never like to admit their mistakes, you only need to look at the Cornelia Rau and Alvarez scandals of a few years back. I need to be with my husband and family, KiKi needs to be with her daddy, we need green grass, clean water, a home...

You can visit the following sites: My URL: myspace.com/layonsari FACEBOOK: Bring KiKi Home and YOUTUBE: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbeWHchKJGI

http://www.gopetition.com.au/online/23749.html

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
I dont really get whats going on, she cant get a passport for her adopted daughter? if she is an australian citizen why cant she just leave? Cant she apply for citizenship of her daughter since she is adopted....wtf is going on?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Australia will not give the child a visa, period. She is able to go home, but the 3 year old kid has to stay in Bali. This woman helped my mother become reunited with her brothers and sisters, as she was adopted out of Italy. We are trying to repay the favor.

IJ.;1196473 said:
Not going to be a sticky sorry

If you could explain why (pm or here) that would be greatly appreciated.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Um, I have a feeling this lady is not telling the full story. It really is not that difficult to get visas into Australia if you do things properly.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Because it doesn't need to be a sticky.

You'll find it will get more exposure if it isn't stickied as a lot of people seem to think a stickied thread is no longer active.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Allow me to attempt to clarify this story. My mother's cousin, Loretta has adopted a child from Bali, and has been her mother since she was 5 weeks old. Loretta was on vacation in Bali, when a woman walked up to her, and handed her Kiki and asked her to take care of her.

Loretta is an Austrailian citizen, and her husband remains in Australia working, supporting himself and Loretta (while she is in Bali). She loves this kid, but is unable to take her to her home, in Australia, because the government will not give the child a visa. She has been fighting with the government since she adopted the child.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
LilMissMkIII;1196508 said:
Ok, so the adoption process wasn't done correctly?

The adoption must be legal and take place in Australia. She is currently the childs legal guardian. Australia is not like the US. They do not believe in adopting children from outside Australia. She has done everything that both the Indo and Australia government have asked her to do. I know that it is hard for us in America believe to believe that Australia is like this, but they are. All we ask is for you to sign the petition. Follow Loretta's links and you will see that she was featured on the Australian current affair TV show. This is no joke.
Mike's Mom

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Mike and Mike's mum, I sympathise with the situation, I really do. However, it is unfair to make generalisations about Australia the way you are. I know plenty of people and couple who have adopted children from outside our country with no issues.

What I am trying to understand is why the Australian Government and Immigration Department have come to their (bad) decision. All I can think of is that the adoption process was not done correctly, and that is why they are giving Loretta grief.

It is a really sucky situation :(

Have you tried writing to the Australian Government Attorney-General's Department or arranging an audience with them? They are the Federal Government Department responsible for intercountry adoption.

For those of you from the US, here is a link to information about Immigration Requirements for Children Adopted Overseas:

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.ns...grationrequirementsforchildrenadoptedoverseas

EDIT;

I just came across this information:

"Children who enter Australia holding an Adoption visa where the overseas adoption is to be finalised in Australia, or where the overseas adoption is not recognised under Australian law, are officially under the guardianship of the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship. The roles and responsibilities associated with this guardianship are delegated to State and Territory welfare authorities. "

Could Loretta get an adoption visa for Kiki??? It seems to be a good way to at least get her here! :)

I also suggest emailing, writing to, or arranging an audience with the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship.