Playstation 3 backwards compatibility.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I realize this is a little late technology wise but I would like some info on the subject.

I recently bought a new PS3 80gig. It's one of the new ones that do not have backwards compatibility. I have done a fair amount of research online and come up with a few options.

One was to get the backwards compatibility download from the PS3 store. I tried that and cannot find it and from what I have read it is no longer offered.

Another one was to use linux and emulate the PS2 games to play on the PS3.

Are there any other options aside from using linux with xubuntu? Or should I return it and get an older 60gig from somewhere?

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I have a PS2 already. I just wanted to know if there's a better way other than using linux to play my old ps2 games on my ps3. Or if its kinda pointless and I should just get an old 60gig model and save myself the trouble.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
if you really want to have backwards compatibility i would have to say getting an older 60gb model might be the best bet to save any troubles

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yup get a 60 gb if you really want BC. I have the first 80gb that has the emulator and it is alright at reading the games but I have problems with it freezing and crashing usually.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Launch PS3 here with full BC.

I have a early 80GB with partial BC its not bad. Buy a broken PS3 60GB on eBay that needs a HD or a BD or a fan or something, easiest way around it

mn_supra_boi

Sep 2, 2008
mn
you u should of bought the ps3 that was able to play both the ps1 ps2 and ps3 games in the first place 20gb or 60gb some 80gb, i bought the 20gb then up graded it with a HDD drive from a 160GB i bought from a broken ps3 so now i have a 160gb ps3 for the price of a 20gb that can play all 3 ps games

to all ps3 people that dosent kno this yet you can upgrade your HDD drive to have more memory

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I think the whole non-backwards compliance is stupid. Some games are not available in ps3 format yet. Case in point: gran turismo. 5 Prologue is just not the same as GT4.

Stupid Sony...

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
I have the 80gb MGS4 package and so far I've been able to play all of my ps2 and ps1 games on it with no problems. I does look a little choppy, but all you need to do is go into settings and there is an option somewhere called ps1/ps2 smoothing and turn it on.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
best buy offers a upgraded hard drive(250gig) for 150$ and it doesn't void the sony warranty which is nice. sucks about the lack of backwards compadibility. i have a old a 40gig so i am in the same boat as you. rumor has it that the new update coming out will have a software patch so it can play PS2 games.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Mk3runner;1322260 said:
LOL just buy a hd that's the same connection and size.. Don't need to be a Sony direct upgrade.

LOL exactly, replacing it yourself doesn't void warranty if you do it right.
150 for a sata hard drive... lol what a rip off.