Pics of the new Supra... and how NOT to lower your car..

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
New Supra I'm rebuilding. Not too much TLC, Needs HG, Interior had some tears which I had left from the parts car, front and rear bumpers (from parts car). And replace the front springs.

We knew the drivers side shock was blown and that side sat lower, but here is more reason then any NOT to cut your springs. Luckily I had spare springs/shocks which have already been installed so I'm back to 4x4 mode.

Here's how low it sat:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pretty darn low..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here's why/...

Oops.. This is what happens when you cut the springs and they aren't tapered to sit on the perch anymore. Let this be a lesson to all;)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here she is, tucked into the garage ready for some engine work, back to stock height.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
That lowered shot looks pretty...interesting.

Did you decide it was more important to have a garage for the supra than a kitchen ? LOL

Cause that looks like it's parked on linoleum. Maybe tore out a wall and installed a garage door because "its for the supra" ?

Nice car and those black rims look tight.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
easternguy2005;1169998 said:
That lowered shot looks pretty...interesting.

Did you decide it was more important to have a garage for the supra than a kitchen ? LOL

Cause that looks like it's parked on linoleum. Maybe tore out a wall and installed a garage door because "its for the supra" ?

Nice car and those black rims look tight.

hmmm i thought that was carpet, goo eye;)
but that makes more sense than carpet...i like lol

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
how old was the guy you bought it from?... i may be jumping the gun here but when will these dumb ass kids learn that cutting the spring is not the way to lower the car... seriously lowering springs cost like $200-$300. thats just one of those things that really annoy me.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, the garage was like that, most of it's linoleum.. Probably leftover stuff from the 80's. Makes it easy to clean though whenever there's any oil on it. Doesn't soak in.

Anyway, it's 3 spots so it's hard to complain.

But yeah, it's hard for me not to save Supras, but I'm going to start redoing my own pretty soon too:)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
THE FUCK?!??!

IF you're gonna cut the springs, you cut from the top as they aren't tapered there... Did you slap the previous owner?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's as bad as a kid I knew that had one of those "little red trucks" that where pretty cool and collectable...

He removed the springs and just rode around on the bump stops "because it looks cool." His dad should have never given him that truck, he ruined it...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
kcheng;1170159 said:
looks like someone didnt cut their springs right lol
im running on cut springs
it rides real nice and low

Which is fine if you're smart enough to have the dampers matched to the new spring rate if not it's dumb as dogshit.... :nono:

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
It wasn't the person that I bought it from, it was the guy before him that did it...not sure on the age. The person I bought it from was pretty knowledgeable about the cars, he just didn't have time to do the HG since (IMO) he's doing it the right way and taking care of school/education before hobby. I've let my "good" Supra sit on the backburner for quite awhile now while situating myself with a solid foundation for a career.

Pulled the Head this morning, hadn't fully blown which is what I expected (from what he said). Probably just started leaking, techincally make not have been leaking, but once you see the gasket, it's easily time for new.

freemoneey

Finally, it's ALIVE...
Jun 8, 2008
Dearborn Hts,MI
MK3.0dudeman;1170162 said:
thats how all the honda's are rollin around by me.

the car looks nice

In my area almost every Honda has the same set up, most of my friends have hondas and i tell them not to cut them spprings, NO ONE listens.