Over reved my 7m-gte

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
i was having a little fun with my 7m and I over reved it it went to about 6600 barely over the limit. However the car then shut off. I started it back up and it idled fine and temp was good, so was oil pressure. I am due for an oil change and I need to change my plugs. The point is after I over reved the car, it seems like it lost some power. This Engine's got a rebuilt head, 20over JE pistons and eagle rods and hks headgasket and arp bolts studs and main caps. The car runs alright just feels a lil less powerful, Did I really send my engine to an early death?

Last edited:

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I got a new jdm TB set up and wasn't used to it... LOL but umm I dunno I just feel scared never over reved before. NOt only that my clutch is toasty and its time for a new one as well, its a project.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

What can I say 1J I got scared.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Glad to see you got your car back on the road Steve. 6600 is not bad. I hit teh same about in mine the other day holding it in second because i melted my trans pressure cable and it still runs fine. Think your just alittle too worried....lol

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Glad to hear from ya Todd! It sure has been awhile yeah I'm a lil scared and my clutch is ify too from a couple burn outs it hasn't been changed since the old owner so thats a factor. Haven your friend in the car ridin shotgun trying to pick up chicks is not a good influence. Then again only young once.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Unless it's a serious mechanical over-rev, your butt dyno is probably just playing tricks on you.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Or the clutch is slipping to the point that it "feels" like he's lost some power.

Either way, 6600 is nothing. I revved my old tired n/a auto to almost 6800 at least weekly, but only after it had fully warmed up. Never had issues. Until I did it when the engine was cold...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hitting rev limit isn't going to hurt anything (that's why it's there). Over-reving by downshifting too far is another story...

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Good thing i wasn't doing it down shifting. But yeah I got clutch slippage. PLuss a lil maintenance required I hate living in an apartment, can't really do shit to my car. Car was operating temp too.

Last edited:

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah Steve it has been a while. As Moy also said your clutch is more than likely on the outs. It's probably slipping in the high RPM range and that is what you are feeling.

Moy, what would engine temp have to do with parts failing?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
89nasupra;1574761 said:
Yeah Steve it has been a while. As Moy also said your clutch is more than likely on the outs. It's probably slipping in the high RPM range and that is what you are feeling.

Moy, what would engine temp have to do with parts failing?
If it's cold nothing has expanded/normalised yet so you risk for instance breaking a piston skirt off through piston slap.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
IJ.;1574763 said:
If it's cold nothing has expanded/normalised yet so you risk for instance breaking a piston skirt off through piston slap.

Ok not to thread jack but this brings up questions. Back in the day my family used to race alot. we would run our car then after the pass we would bring it to the water down area and open the drain and let the water pump run and it would pump cold water through the engine. once we did that for a few minutes we would bring it back to our pit where we would put ice bags on the intake to cool it down even further. We never had a lick of trouble with that. It's a 71 Oldsmobile 442 W-30. Are imports that much different than domestic muscle cars?

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
89nasupra;1574782 said:
Ok not to thread jack but this brings up questions. Back in the day my family used to race alot. we would run our car then after the pass we would bring it to the water down area and open the drain and let the water pump run and it would pump cold water through the engine. once we did that for a few minutes we would bring it back to our pit where we would put ice bags on the intake to cool it down even further. We never had a lick of trouble with that. It's a 71 Oldsmobile 442 W-30. Are imports that much different than domestic muscle cars?

the oil would still be at operating temp i would think.