Operation Drive and Enjoy

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Since you have it out could you take measurements of the subframe for me? I need the max width and the max length front to back. I am going to look at a new coating oven in the next day or two and that is the biggest thing I can imagine doing off the top of my head.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
GC89;2061998 said:
Since you have it out could you take measurements of the subframe for me? I need the max width and the max length front to back. I am going to look at a new coating oven in the next day or two and that is the biggest thing I can imagine doing off the top of my head.

It'll be Saturday before I can get back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well the part I dreaded the most was the easiest. The subframe bushings just about fell out with the help of an air hammer with chisel.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446166270.379937.jpg

Once that was done it was downhill from there. I would've gotten it back on the car tonight but gotta go see my baby girl play in band at the football game.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446166416.239568.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looks great! Jealous of your bushings, I've been waiting a while for mine to show up.

And Saturday is fine, I won't be near my car until at least late next week.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well it's bolted back up to the car. I got pretty worried before I let it down off the jacks about how high it was going to sit because the new subframe bushings looked a lot thicker that the originals from it. That on top of putting some stock 90 springs on there. Well it did sit really high. High enough I thought "screw that" and was about to put the other springs back on it but decided to wait and little everything settle a bit. I checked it again about 6 hours later and it has settled about a 1/4 of an inch. Tomorrow I hope to find it down a little more. I've got to schedule a wheel alignment soon before I attempt to do anything else.

They seem to create more space between the car and frame than it looked liked before. It may just be in my head. Wished I had taken some before and after pics.
Here it is complete and ready to go back on the car.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446479442.204104.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446478682.218622.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446478790.179891.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446478808.009429.jpg

And here's how it looked about ten minutes after it came off the jacks and settled a little. Scary
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446478852.581811.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446478862.966080.jpg

I'll put up some pics after it aligned and hopefully settled some more.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
GreenChevelleSS;2062372 said:
got to remember the subframe wont change the ride height (AT LEAST MUCH), the spring seats are Located on the body not the frame. Looks good man

Kinda feel like a dumbass after reading that and thinking about the geometry of it all haha.

After seeing it for the first time in almost two days it appears to have settled about 1/4-1/2 inch.
I was going to replace the front springs today but my other needy bitch, Mercedes, has been needing a flex disk replacement and oil change so took it to a rent a lift bay place and worked on it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446604226.916731.jpg

Yes I know it needs rear tires. It's gets two new rear tires with every oil change and that's no shit. Every 10k miles.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well I got it over to the alignment shop. I took back roads slowly over there. Apparently on the right rear shock I didn't tighten the nut in the middle of the strut mount tight enough because it clanked and knocked all the way over. The shop tightened it down some more but it would still do clank on the big bumps. Of course now the whole tube spins on the shock so can't tighten it anymore. I'll deal with it in the next day or so. But other than that the car rides fantastic. It's very smooth. The rear end feels very tight and it no longer leans hard when going around corners.

I'd say it was a little off in the rear.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446783992.378694.jpg

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
emiliorescigno;2062676 said:
I'm watching this space. :)

I like it!

Thanks.

I've noticed my right rear is 1/2 higher than the left. The only difference on that side is it has a GR-2 shock and the other side is an Excel-G. Now they are both the same KYB part number and according to KYB are exactly the same. I bought both separately from the same retailer on amazon and was pissed that they sent one of each but said fuck it and put it on. Well I went ahead and bought another excel-g to put on it later to see if that makes a difference. If not I'll think of something else.

Now with a new tight rear end it makes the other loose things seem worse. I've noticed my diff is rather noisy now and my $75 carrier bearing may be toast as well. It seemed to have a lot of slack in it when I was under the car checking it out. Such is life with one of these cars.

Now I've also been working on something with the interior. I'll leave it at that for now hehe.

I've got some 89+ trim to replace the warping/rusting trim now. Trying to decide what color to paint it. Suggestions?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
gtsfirefighter;2062753 said:
I've got some 89+ trim to replace the warping/rusting trim now. Trying to decide what color to paint it. Suggestions?

Something to keep in mind:

89+ trim is a different style than pre-89 trim. If you install 89+ trim around the car and leave the pre-89 center panel, it'll look a little goofy. Are you planning on doing an 89+ tail light conversion?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
emiliorescigno;2062790 said:
Something to keep in mind:

89+ trim is a different style than pre-89 trim. If you install 89+ trim around the car and leave the pre-89 center panel, it'll look a little goofy. Are you planning on doing an 89+ tail light conversion?

Nope. I like the pre-89 tails. I will be painting that trim section in the middle to match the rest.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Loving the progress. I think it is possible to swap the trims, but it's not plug and play. It would require some modifying and fabrication. Are you going to paint everything on the car like door jams and engine bay or just the exterior?