Operation Drive and Enjoy

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
What an absolute ass whippin! If I ever have another supra this subframe going on it. I'd rather pull an engine then go through this again.
I finally got all the camber bolts cut off. It took five sawzall blades and two cutting wheels but I got it done. I also go all the bushing out of the control arms and strut rods also. Now that wasn't easy either. The press I have will only push the rubber and metal tube out. The outer jacket I had to cut with the sawzall and beat them out with a hammer and chisel. I boogered up a couple of the barrels but I'll clean em up the best I can. I also got the two bushings out of one of the spindles. How I'm going to get the new ones in will be challenging. I can't use my press to do those.
I took a pic of one of the bushings I pressed out. The bolt and the sleeve have almost melded into one piece.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445576227.906032.jpg

Here are all the control arms. The upper ones are ready to go. I've now got to clean, repaint, and press in the new bushings for them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445576318.012409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I've still yet to remove the subframe bushings which it might a few days before I can get back to work on it.
I've got to get a good stripper wheel so I can clean it off and repaint it and also the diff could use some freshening up.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I pressed out and in new bushings for the rears. I do remember that it took a lot of force and the old ones released with a loud bang, but it was all done with a 40 ton press.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
3p141592654;2061499 said:
I pressed out and in new bushings for the rears. I do remember that it took a lot of force and the old ones released with a loud bang, but it was all done with a 40 ton press.

I've just got a 12 ton press. I sense more intense labor in my future haha.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well other than control arm issue I made some progress today. I got all the bushings in all the other arms. Stripped them down and repainted them. Then I got the two bushings and parking brake pads replaced on one of the spindles.

Now you wonder why I didn't take the end links off. Well, I lost my only fitting Allen wrench in the mud outside the shop I'm guessing so just said fuck it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445834827.364441.jpg

I used a balljoint press to get the spherical and other bushing pressed it. It worked pretty good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445835073.716915.jpg

The finished spindle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445835171.208264.jpg

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
+1

While we are on the topic, I am getting ready to do the same to the front sub-frame. What have you guys had good luck with in terms of paint? I haven't found anything I am really happy with on my past frame shoots.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
GreenChevelleSS;2061758 said:
looks good but I thought youd know better than to use spray paint.

Apparently not haha. It's Toyota gloss black. I ain't paying to have that stuff powder coated. That's one of many layers or paint. What would you have used?

I did my chevelle parts with POR-15 and its held up great for the past 10 years. But I would powdercoat it all. It wouldn't be much at all. maybe 100-150 for the subframe and all the parts. Im gonna have mine done, but I also will do everything that I can fit in my oven.

Heres some quad stuff ive done at home (well technically at my shop but its a home oven)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I plan to powder coat my arms and everything I can as well. I was planning on painting the subframe and the ps rack and knuckles since I can't bake them.

I have used por15 in the past and it did OK but was not the easiest to work with. Seems like opinions are 50/50 online of those that swear by it and those that hate it. I was almost thinking of trying a quart of the rustoleum commercial gloss black and adding some hardener this time.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I'm usually more concerned about function when it comes to the bits under the car. I'll revisit the paint with better rust resistant materials but I'm not going to worry about powder coating anything. This subframe refurb has already cost me close to a grand if not a little more. I don't keep track of what I spend on this car because it will just make me sick. The Mercedes I keep track of and it alone can be nauseating!:aigo:

GC89;2061788 said:
I plan to powder coat my arms and everything I can as well. I was planning on painting the subframe and the ps rack and knuckles since I can't bake them.

I have used por15 in the past and it did OK but was not the easiest to work with. Seems like opinions are 50/50 online of those that swear by it and those that hate it. I was almost thinking of trying a quart of the rustoleum commercial gloss black and adding some hardener this time.

I just finished one side of my rear knuckles. I will get a pic tomorrow but I dont understand why you said it cant be baked. (will need new bearings tho since you pretty much destroy them getting them out)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
The bearings are the reason. Mine have zero play so I really don't want to tear them down just to coat. If I paint them with something decent now it should last till the bearings go and I can shoot them at that time.