One and only key broke off in my ignition:-(...can't start the car

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I know this is shady at best but I need to know how to break a key cylinder to start my car:-(

I'm at work and have 12 hours to figure this out....my boss tried to use his key pick set to remove what's left of the key but something happened and now I can't turn the cylinder....how can I get this car to start?

I can prove this car is mine...I have title in hand and my I'd so if I need to take video to prove that I'm not stealing a car then I can do that....

Anybody know what to do?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
That's how I used to start the car but after my boss messed with it it won't work:-(

what do you recomend....lock smith is $145+ which I just don't have right now!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
If it is in the cylinder... not sure what is "impossible" about it. Press in, done. Unless they broke the brass fingers and then at that point, he is fucked if that is the case.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Thats what I think happened cause the extractor got stuck and we needed pliars to pull it out.

So please...is it possible to either break the cylinder lock or drill the cylinder out?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I'm with figgie on this one, as long as the cylinder is on the lock position you should be able to push and turn. Put some oomph behind it, if it's broke anyway what's the harm?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
take apart the plastic trim around the steering column. above the key cylinder there should be a little button you can press with a needle or something, which should allow you to pull out the cylinder.
See what you can do from there.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well, to start the car you can remove the switch from the back of the cylinder and turn it with a flat blade screwdriver. it is held on with a phillips screw on the rear of the lock clyinder. it is a pain in the ass to get to while the column is installed. to unlock the column you have to remove the cylinder..... you are on your own with that one, i dont know how to do that.

have you tried pushing what is left of the key back in? you may have pulled it out far enough that it isnt fully engaging the lower tumblers.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Just remove the column trim, if I recall, you can remove the ignition assembly and turn it with a screw driver..

I had to do this on my 86.5 when the key cylinder was stuck..