Onceover.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Yes. I would get a 91 or 92 starter. They are threaded so it makes changing them much much easier. Older starters just have nuts and bolts holding them on. Pita

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
All we're doing ourselves at this point is changing the timing belt, seals, oil pump etc and handing it to a mechanic, my sisters' decision. Heck the mech's retorquing the head and told me not to even install the clutch - I'm an almost useless appendage :)

I like the JDM engine though, it's very clean and has all the accessories, $710 delivered. Spare parts FTW!

Pete

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
Engine prepped. We didn't get the crank bolt off, a 6 foot pipe on an old proto breaker bar, that bar was bending something crazy! A lesser bar would've snapped. So we'll leave the timing belt kit to the mech.

Pete

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Took me a 600+ftlb impact to get that sucker off. Took the handle off the jack and used that as a breaker bar.. brakes held hard with the trans in 5th... Still couldnt get it off without the impact.

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
Whoa. I'm trying to remember the engine rotation, on small block fords you can put an extension on the breaker, set it against the ground, and hit the key :)

The replacement engine has square motor mounts, can I use them or need to swap to round? Should I replace them (I'm thinking yes?)

Thanks

Pete

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I believe clockwise. So the breaker will need to be on the right side of the engine if that makes sense.

If your subframe is setup for round mounts, you need round. Now is a decent time to get some replacements

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
It's been interesting. The mech has never used a Cressida engine for the swap before and surprise! he had to swap everything from the old block and heads onto the new one.

AND! different throwout bearing FYI. Apparently you have to get the kit for a Cressida. So for now he's installing the old clutch, didn't look bad, we'll revisit it down the road. Looking I'm having a hard time finding a 3.0 Cressida part, they all say 85-87 2.8l. Is a later Cressida a non-American sold car, or can I get the 2.8 throwout bearing?

The old engine has spun bearings.

Pete

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Everything except for the intake manifold should be identical. I'm not aware of 5 speed 7m cressidas

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
Hmm, maybe I've got that wrong. He had to replace the entire manifold, all brackets, oil pan, exhaust manifold, many sensors (due to plug differences).

Pete

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just did a 90 Cressida 7MGE into my 87 Supra last year. Only differences were the intake setup and oil pan/sump. Period. Identical otherwise.

(the oil pan and oil sump are setup differently from Supra to Cressida... you can use the Cressida intake, but the Supra had the "y" pipe setup.)

If he had to swap everything, he better have a damn good reason... otherwise.. your being hosed.

Also (don't quote me on this) I believe the Cressida had the 5MGE until 1988. nevermind.. I confirmed it. Your probably having trouble because your assuming the Cressida and Supra match by years.. which they don't.
The Cressida got the Supra goodies after 1989...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah I believe the only difference was the intake and oil pan setup. The Supra 7MGE had ACS and the Cressida one did not. I believe it made a difference of somewhere around 10 hp.

Piece-it Pete

Oct 16, 2013
Cleveland
Many, many thanks for the comments and info folks.

'ACS' is the intake? I wouldn't want to take 10 hp away from my favorite (only) nephew :D

The mech is charging a flat rate and sticking to it. He was highly rec'd as well, when all is said and done I'll post his name and the engine supplier.

He did say he used the new turbo oil pump but had to change the pickup. I'm going to see if the supplier knows what engine this is. Any ideas on the throwout bearing? It's starting to worry me.

Thanks for the timing tension warning. The first timing belt I ever changed (not a Supra), the spec'd torque seemed way too light, so I gave it a little extra. 3 weeks later the head of crank bolt sheared off. 40 manhours later (at least! no exaggeration) I had the &*^$#+ bolt out! 3 times I walked away swearing I was calling a scrapyard.

Updates as info rolls in ;)

Pete

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
ACIS is Acoustic Control Induction System? I just pulled that out of my ass. Lol. But it's a flapper in the intake that turns it from a short runner into a long runner, so you can have a long runner at low rpms, increasing low end torque, and a short runner at high rpms, increasing high end hp.

The throwout bearing should be more of a transmission specific thing rather than a engine specific.. and the clutch set and everything on the cressida engine (if they came 5 speed) should be the same. Idk why they would be different lol.

The only thing I can think of is if your engine supplier gave you a 5m, that would explain a lot lol