Ok so you tell me your thoughts

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
So today i pulled my head. I have also pulled the engine and tranny before. So My debate is i think its easier to pull the motor then pull the head off. Then to just pull the head off . So does any body else agree? Plus pulling the whole motor you can check it all over at the same time. But thats just my thinking.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Grim, the back 2 Head bolts are a pain in the ass to remove. And then, you cant really get the head off with ease either. And If the engine is studded, then he cant get the head off at all with it sitting on the mounts. Bc the head will hit the lip on the firewall......ask me how I know. haha

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I'll never pull a head on a Supra in car again, especially a turbo. Just too awkward getting to everything on the turbo side, manifold braces, lines under manifolds etc. Plus with engine out, you can replace those seemingly always weeping welch plugs and do that rear main seal that's been annoying you etc.
Anyone ever dropped engine and trans out on the crossmember?

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Typhoon;1747886 said:
I'll never pull a head on a Supra in car again, especially a turbo. Just too awkward getting to everything on the turbo side, manifold braces, lines under manifolds etc. Plus with engine out, you can replace those seemingly always weeping welch plugs and do that rear main seal that's been annoying you etc.

Yeah, not me but someone in the my country forum did. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/projects/70802-gogosa70-3.html

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
GrimJack;1747459 said:
Not sure I agree... engine and tranny is easier than the whole engine, for sure, but easier than just the head?

I agree. I've done it both ways. If just replacing a HG or turbo.. I prefer to remove them with the motor in the car but if replacing a clutch or something, I remove the motor/trans. together. Good luck.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Compton74;1747487 said:
I'd rather remove the engine, put it on the stand, get stuff done, check everything out.

Agreed. Pulling the head always looks easier until you've been bent over that damned fender all day and your back is killing you...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Eh, for a simple head job when you know you dont need to do anything else I'd leave it in car. If you've got the space and time to pull the whole thing it gives you a great chance to look at everything and certainly makes installing.... virtually everything 10x easier. Since you've got a JDM motor, i'd have pulled the whole thing. ;)

I remember the last 7M i had out the car and I was removing the starter... As I was unbolting it I thought, "Wow, this is easy. It took me nearly 4 hours to do this when it was in the car." Same idea holds true for many other components.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Typhoon;1747886 said:

About the only sane way to do it on my new Toy.

prog122.jpg

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
IJ.;1748025 said:
About the only sane way to do it on my new Toy.

prog122.jpg

Ok ij what is this? You now what im trying to do with the cressida. Sooo what is up with this?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Supracentral;1747991 said:
Agreed. Pulling the head always looks easier until you've been bent over that damned fender all day and your back is killing you...

YEP!!! thank you for your info sir.