Oil pump issue

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
I installed ARP main studs but one of the studs is keeping the oil pump from mounting flush to the block. is it ok to use a regular main stud so the oil pump sit back on the block or do hav to do something to the pump?

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I personally would just shim the oil pump a little. If you use a factory stud it will be the weak point in the build. Obviously you are going for higher power then stock and you do not want a failure. Good luck and hope this helps. By the way just look up shimming the oil pump in the forums here.

Ymh

Jun 5, 2006
Oklahoma
cruisnhard;1004589 said:
I personally would just shim the oil pump a little. If you use a factory stud it will be the weak point in the build. Obviously you are going for higher power then stock and you do not want a failure. Good luck and hope this helps. By the way just look up shimming the oil pump in the forums here.

Looking up shimming the oil pump brings up threads about shimming the spring for more oil pressure

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I have not used ARP main studs but i believe they came with bolts for the main cap under the oil pump/pickup just for fitment issues. Yours did not come with bolts?
Edit: Apparently there are also supposed to be special washers for those 2 bolts as well.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cruisnhard;1004589 said:

If you don't fully understand the question please DON'T post an incorrect response in the Tech section it doesn't help anyone and makes you appear foolish.