Oil pump driveshaft failure

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I swear this car is cursed, or just flat out hates my guts.

I'm on the verge of solving my electrical gremlins and this shit happens.
Not really sure what to do about this, engine is fresh built with maybe 5k miles on it.

Full rebuild with all new bearings at the bare minimum i suspect.

p2058034_1.jpg

p2058034_2.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Notice how the timing belt is hanging off the pulley by about 1/2"?
The driveshaft retainer plate has worn through causing the shaft to have 1/2" of play in and out the block.

Heres a crappy video showing the play in the shaft.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
andrew_mx83;2058083 said:
interesting that this seems to always pop up shortly after a rebuild....

anyway, throw one of these on your shopping list :)
http://technicoracing.com/cs/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=293
I've noticed that as well Andrew, I purchased this engine fully built assembled and have never opened the bottom so not sure whats going on down there just yet.

Thanks for the link as well, that looks like a great option over stock.

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Beech also sells a modified shaft retainer plate for $130 or can modify yours for $60. Although, the needle bearing setup Andrew suggested seems pretty nice for the same price new as the one from Beech. The Beech one just has some grooves machined in it for oiling. Still has to be an upgrade over stock.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Ordered the retaining plate from Technico last night.

Today i pulled a driveshaft from another motor that was laying around, turns out this one has some damage on it as well. One of the other 7m's i have laying around doesnt show any play in the shaft so i'm very curious as to what is causing these failures.

Should i be looking into replacing all the driveshaft bearings and oil pump bushings? The oil pump as well? Main and rod bearings?

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Wow there seems to be more cases of this appearing. I wonder if using the incorrect torque on the drive plate has anything to do with it? The last 2 motors I rebuilt hasn't shown any signs of failure yet.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Ohhhhhh my god why do I wander onto threads like this and freak myself out!?!? Thank god it hasn't happened to me yet - maybe I will hop on this sooner rather than later. :/

AGsupra

Sep 28, 2013
Whales
Have a demel ?
Grind your own oil slots.

Had one do that to me once, seen a post on here, or supraforums where someone ground directional slots so that the shaft rotation would pull oil from the rear, around to the front.
No problems since.

But the technico thing is cool.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc most new bearings are not checked for proper clearance as there is only 1 size. And the beating needs to be aligned properly. Been a while tho. Manual has it all in it.