Oil Cooler Setup Questions -8 or -10

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Ok so I'm finalizing my setup. I have all the components picked out for my full flow setup, but I have one question. I'm planning to utilize the stock oil cooler which I measured is a -6, and Ive already shimmed my Oil Pump with roughly ~4.5mm worth of washers. Should I use -8 or -10 hose? Also will I be ok downsizing it to a -6 to use my stock cooler? I don't see how it could affect anything but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Basically -8 or -10 until it gets to the Tstat which at that point it will go to -6. I'm only planning on using the stock cooler for a little while then Ill upgrade everything for it to match.

Thanks for your time.
~JDMMA70

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Do you have time to wait until you can upgrade the cooler itself? If so, I would suggest waiting until then. Cheaper (and a better use of your time) to do that. ;)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Upgrade the cooler. If you go full flow through the stock cooler, it's going to be a restriction in your oiling system that isn't going to be healthy. It was never intended to take full flow.

That said, I have not done an oil flow analysis of the stock unit to see what kind of flow levels/pressure drop it runs, but the very fact that the stock lines going to is are 10mm ID would indicate that it's not intended for that kind of purpose.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya ditch the stock cooler and get a -10 cooler and make the whole system -10.

I like the earls oil coolers. Super nice quality. I have a 19 row one for oil and a 6 or 7 row one for my ps.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Thank you guys. Do you folks think 20ft of hose will be enough? Ill be using Aeroquip Socketless hoses.

Thanks

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Ok so two quick questions. The Permacool filter adapter didnt signify which Port is which on the block. Now im assuming that the Arrow pointing away the left is the port that im supposed to feed the oil into and the other port next to it is the outlet. Am I correct? Also do i apply teflon to this portion in the second pic.

p1920811_1.jpg

p1920811_2.jpg

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'd double check everything yourself even if it did have arrows on it. Stock, the oil flows from the pump through the outer perforations in the filter, and out the threaded center of the filter to the main rail in the block. Visually check your block adapter (or run water through it to be 100% sure) and hook up your feed line to the port which flows to the outer "ring" of the block. Hook up your return line to the port which connects to the center opening in the block.

Do the same thing with your remote filter head. You will need to plug both ports on one side of the filter head, and connect your lines to the other two. Do the same check to determine which is in/out (or just follow the arrows). Just double check your work, if plumbed backwards the anti drainback valve will severely limit your flow.

Oh, and I'm assuming those are NPT ports. If so, you should use a little teflon tape to seal.