oil coming out the air filter?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Oil is coming out my air filter, and leaking onto the tray. Pretty sure the turbo's fucked.

It would smoke slightly before but now it's big puffs. I have yet to dismantle it, but I want to know if this is due to a bad turbo, or something else, as I have no place to work on my car this weekend.

Oil pressure reads normal, and the oil was nice and clear until I parked it, and now it's dark and dirty looking..

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
my original post doesnt mean anything any more...sorry wasnt sure what filter you were talking about, until now.

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
its enough to pool on the tray where the filter sits, and drip onto my IC pipes underneath and make a nice little pool on the ground.

I'm hoping it's a gasket, but I have no way of taking it apart at the moment, as I live on a major street, so buses and speeders regularly zoom by..

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
if your filter is leaking, the turbo isnt bad, and your puff of smoke could be caused by an increase in oil pressure pushing through whatever bad seal you have on your filter, and being burned by the heat of the exhaust manifold or whatever else its hitting and smoking on.

just get a new filter and do an oil change, take off your old one, put some oil on the ring of the new one before you install, and dont install too tight either, after you do that, get some engine bay degreaser/cleaner, spray down the exhaust side when its cool to touch (not the electronics on that side, just in the turbo area and the oil filter area), wash off with low pressure water to be sure its all clear of oil.. then go ahea dand start her up and see where the oil is really coming from... that will tell you your culprit... if its all stock, i could say its gonna be just one of your oil lines coming off of your filter adapter.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
before i drilled the cam cover ports out for bigger ones i would get that as well. Compensation for a worn motor. It took long runs in boost for me to get enough built up to leak into the filter.
Blowby will turn the oil dark pretty quick as well...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
What's your PCV setup like? You're not running breather filters are you?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
PCV set up is stock. I saw a puddle of oil after I had parked my car at work, filled it up wtih about 1/2 a quart, I figured it wouldn't be too bad because I've heard it's recommended to have an extra quart in the pan. After that, it started smoking badly, especially when coming to a stop at a stoplight, and then pulling away. I took the filter off, and there's a nice puddle where the stock airbox is, and my AFM is oily and the filter is oiled up.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah when my hg went about a week or two after i crashed my mint condition sup i was frantically doing things i wouldn't normally do. adding too much oil was one of them. it showed signs of a blown turbo, but once i pulled the head and drained the oil there was about 7 quarts or something like that. after i got her all together it ran like a champ without looseing or burning a drop of coolent or oil to this day. i know it sounds stupid. but no one is perfect and i just though you might have made the same mistake.

1/2 a quart over shouldn't do this though. i always have at least a half quart or a full quart over. make sure your reading the dip stick right.

this can fuck up you maf sensor if it sprays too much oil.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
instead of guessing, first thing to do is to get that car on jackstands and get that undertray off. buy some degreaser and clean up everything that's oil. let the car warm up and see where it's leaking. a leak that large shouldn't be difficult to locate.

That being said my money is on a turbo or oil line failure...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
WhtMa71;1203274 said:
Have you ever done a compression test on that motor?

I recently bought it off A-to the-J, and he did a compression test before he sold it, 180 across the board..

Also jose at Kaizen told me he's knows the history of the engine, tracing it back 2 or 3 owners and said it's a good motor..

here's the for sale thread..

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80708

he stated the turbo's smoking a bit, which it did, but he said it might be due to him not having a cat, and of course when I swapped the engine, my new exhaust (different from his) doesn't have a cat either, so I thought it was some what normal. Now I'm thinking it might be a bad turbo line or something, unfortunately I can't check today as it's pouring cats and dogs here...

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
k bud.

take a lower intercooler pipe off and check back with us. (it could be turbo but shrug)

sounds like excessive blowby to me. do a leak down test. sounds like this motor is done.

and change the title to air filter and please change the first post or all of us will keep posting oil filter related questions and answers.....(as this isn't a common problem) :(

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
i had some oil in my intake as well. it's definetly coming from the pcv hose that attaches to the accordian pipe. car's parked for winter now but i'll be plumbing a catch can this spring. my dip stick would pop up after a hard run but no oil came out the tube.