odd compression test q&a

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
I just installed a rebuilt head with headwork on my 7mgte and I'm getting some odd compression test numbers on a cold engine:

1. 95
2. 110
3. 118
4. 65
5. 90
6. 122

Now I know your thinking bhg but...

1. HKS stopper headgasket never even fired up, reused, inspected, viton throughly removed, copper sprayed all layers
2. new ARP head studs at 90 ft-lb
3. new revv oversized valves
4. cam marks line up at 0 degrees
5. all valve shims within spec
6. resurfaced head 0 miles
7. resurfaced block 500 miles ago
8. just before I removed the old head i did a warm engine compression test: 1. 155 2. 118 3. 142 4. 140 5. 134 6. 144. I contribute the old poor numbers to a warped surface which was eliminated since I got a new head. BUT this should eliminate piston rings as an issue since they were better before.

What am i missing here? Its gotta be a huge leak somewere.

Thanks,
Dennis

p1057591_1.jpg

p1057591_2.jpg

p1057591_3.jpg

<Edit IJ> For those among us that either can't see or can't read.... :nono:

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
survyor2;1057591 said:
I just installed a rebuilt head with headwork on my 7mgte and I'm getting some odd compression test numbers on a cold engine:

1. 95
2. 110
3. 118
4. 65
5. 90
6. 122

Now I know your thinking bhg but...

1. HKS stopper headgasket never even fired up, reused, inspected, viton throughly removed, copper sprayed all layers
2. new ARP head studs at 90 ft-lb
3. new revv oversized valves
4. cam marks line up at 0 degrees
5. all valve shims within spec
6. resurfaced head 0 miles
7. resurfaced block 500 miles ago
8. just before I removed the old head i did a warm engine compression test: 1. 155 2. 118 3. 142 4. 140 5. 134 6. 144. I contribute the old poor numbers to a warped surface which was eliminated since I got a new head. BUT this should eliminate piston rings as an issue since they were better before.

What am i missing here? Its gotta be a huge leak somewere.

Thanks,
Dennis

poor a little oil in each cly and see if they come up... might be stuck rings...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Valve seals?
Check what you torqued that area of the head again, maybe you didnt get astud or two as tight as they should be...

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Rennat;1057687 said:
your suppose to do the compression test with the car at operating temps. not cold.

and you never read the thread about copper spray and new MHG...

of course about the operating temperature for optimal compression numbers because of the ring gap but it is a small difference from a cold engine.

What thread about the copper spray are you referring to? I didn't do anything different than IJ did his.

87M-GTE;1057670 said:
Valve seals?
Check what you torqued that area of the head again, maybe you didnt get astud or two as tight as they should be...

The valve seals are outside of the combustion camber so they are irrelavant.

HommerSimpson;1057595 said:
poor a little oil in each cly and see if they come up... might be stuck rings...

I didn't know rings could get stuck. I can't picture that but I'll give it a try.

I have an idea to try though, I'll report back.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dennis: Try Hommer's suggestion with the Oil and let us know if it changes.

What is the valve lash like now?

Rennat: Reading comprehension not your strong point?

Didn't I warn you to keep your nose out of Tech?

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
OK. I poured 2 cap fulls of oil into No.6. It went from 122 to 185!. Can I account for anything over 160 due to the oil displacing the air? So what does this mean that I am getting good compression now? Did my rings go bad sitting for 3 months? Or are they "unstuck" now?

Thanks,
Dennis

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ummm they were never "stuck" using Oil helps seal the ring to the bore and in this test lets us know that it's NOT a valve sealing issue.

Put Oil in comp comes up usually = bad rings

Put Oil in comp stays low usually = bad valves
(This is of course assuming no other mechanical damage or a leaking HG) ;)

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
IJ.;1057845 said:
Ummm they were never "stuck" using Oil helps seal the ring to the bore and in this test lets us know that it's NOT a valve sealing issue.

Put Oil in comp comes up usually = bad rings

Put Oil in comp stays low usually = bad valves
(This is of course assuming no other mechanical damage or a leaking HG) ;)

wow. I guess my rings did go bad sitting. They only have 500 miles on them. JE pistons and JE moly rings, just bored over. They should have sealed by now. Any recommendations?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I wouldn't panic just yet Dennis!

7M blocks are VERY hard iron and the JE rings are hard as well so unless it has a really agressive/deep/coarse Hone job done it'll take quite awhile to seal up! (same combination here and much the same horrible results after 4>500 miles)

Last time I checked mine it had evened out and I was happy!

Bedtime here (11:30pm) hope this eases your mind a bit.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Rennat;1057687 said:
.and you never read the thread about copper spray and new MHG...

IJ nailed it...read, don't skim...the OP removed the Viton from the MHG. The reaction between copper spray and Viton is the problem...there is no problem if the Viton is removed (on a new or used MHG).

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah the more i think about it, the more I think IJ is right. Rings just haven't sealed. I haven't had oil on the rings in 3 months. The last compression test was probably better because I had just come back from a drive were the oil squitters were coating the cylinder walls. Now the walls are dry. I'm going to proceed with the reassemble. I hope they seal up soon.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Okay...now I've got a new problem. I have coolant dripping out of my oil pan!

I had this problem before...so I found the head was a little warped (but I now I don't think it was enough to cause this problem). At the time I assumed this was the cause of coolant getting in my oil. So I went with a rebuilt head, HKS stopper headgasket. The surface on the head was machined and the block surface was machined 500 miles agp. I'm using copper spray on the headgasket. The engine hasn't even been fired up.

I pressurized the coolant system with a few psi and coolant POURS out of the oil pan. So there is no way its leaking into the cylinders. If it was leaking into the cylinders it would fill them up and drip past the rings.

I just can't believe that a resurfaced head, resurfaced block, ARP studs and a HKS stopper head gasket I have a bhg (twice) without even firing it up (once), it HAS to be something else.

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
:(

I hope it's something simple bud. But if it's going into the crankcase you eighter have a cracked coolant passage somewhere or something along those lines. :(

But where did you get those revv valves from? :)

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
you know... the pistons have a -16cc volume... so two capfuls of oil probaby turned your dished pistons into flat-tops.

also, that coolant leak is most likely coming from your head gasket. since your head just came from the machine shop, its certainly had a pressure test done after the new valves were installed and they wouldnt have given it back to you w/o trying to sell you a whole new head casting... so its more likely than not a structural deficiency on the part of the head or block....

also, on the spray sealer on MLS gasket storm front; i have pulled apart a motor that had a fresh cometic with spray sealer installed. the viton coating just flaked off when it was rubbed. it was lifting in many areas as well. i had to strip it all off and apply a layer of sealant (was converting a 4G63 to a 2.3L stroker).

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
survyor - when you say "pours out of the oil pan", where exactly is it coming from...be as specific as you can.

flu - thanks for that info on the spray sealer on a MHG...I've seen the same thing. Been preaching for a long time not to use the spray on a new MHG because it attacks the Viton coating. Someone besides me noticed why ;)

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
jdub;1059350 said:
survyor - when you say "pours out of the oil pan", where exactly is it coming from...be as specific as you can.

flu - thanks for that info on the spray sealer on a MHG...I've seen the same thing. Been preaching for a long time not to use the spray on a new MHG because it attacks the Viton coating. Someone besides me noticed why ;)

it pours out of the oil pan drain plug. when i say pours I mean its a continuous stream when I put a few psi on the coolant system. Otherwise it drips with no pressure applied to the coolant system. I wish i could easily remove the oil pan and see exactly were it is coming from. Yeah, i wouldn't use copper spray on a new mhg. Viton was removed in my case. And remember it did this on the original HKS stopper viton setup.

My machinist ordered the revv valves from their shop in ft.lauderdale.

I don't believe the problem is the head since i have the same problem on this new head and the same problem on the last head.

I'm just having a hard time believing that any hg fails with a flat head and flat block without even starting it up. No stress has been applied at all. No even any coolant pressure before it started leaking. A piece of paper should have sealed it enough for what i was doing (anyways you see what i'm trying to say).

Last edited: