Occassional Miss on Startup + Very Bad miss on kick-down from high speeds

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
As per title. This is really annoying me because I can't drive it or get it registered until it's fixed! :(

Current mods/Things that were fucked with right before the miss occured:

550s
Bosch 044 in-tank fuel pump
AFPR
Map ecu 2 (with timing control)
HKS replacement 3000 pipe
custom intake
turbo-back 3" exhaust (straight through, no cat)
Aftermarket IC + piping
Aftermarket rad (with e-fan and auto switch on and off) + hard pipes
+ assortment of gauges and in-cabin electrics

Car went to the shop to get some of the above mods done, plus a small service (oil filter, plugs, bleed cooling system and put in new Toyota Red).

Went to pick it up, got told it "runs great" except for this damn miss on kick down.

I then found out the lazy fker didn't bleed the cooling system properly!!!!! I didn't have the climate control in the car, and he was too lazy to put the screwdriver in behind the glovebox to open the heater tap! On top of that, they put in Nulon, and not the Toyota Red we supplied! :icon_evil:icon_evil:icon_evil

Now, I have the dreaded waterfall sound behind my dash!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Now, we would like to try and get this sorted this weekend, and so far, these are the things we are going to do:

- bleed cooling system PROPERLY and add in Toyota Red
- check the plugs and leads

Is there anything else we should investigate/do?

Also, below are my dyno sheets... Don't know if these will indicate any issues or not though...

View attachment Dyno Sheet - AFR.pdf
View attachment Dyno Sheet - PSI.pdf

Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated! :)

1986&1/2poopra

Sep 21, 2008
ithaca ny
Check your camshaft covers. My non turbo was doing the same shiznat and all it turned out to be was oil leeking from the cover to the plugs allowing them to ground out before the spark got to the plug.

To fix it you should change the gaskets it is not hard and they cost about $10 bucks. But what you can do is get a bottle of dielectric greace and put a dab in your plug bots.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Plugs are already on my list of things to do, but thanks for cementing that it is definitely something to be checked :)

What should they be gapped to?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LilMissMkIII;1166645 said:
Plugs are already on my list of things to do, but thanks for cementing that it is definitely something to be checked :)

What should they be gapped to?

NGK plugs...gap at 0.7mm

Check the plug wire resistance...should be less than 25 kOhm

What is your fuel pressure?