obama?going to shut down all of the junk yards

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
This weekend I was at my local junk yard they were having everyone sign a petition. At first I was going to blow it off but then one of the employees started to explain what it was for. Apparently, (what he said) our new president Obama wants to shut down all of the junk yards and they were trying to fight it with the petition.all of our parts will have to come from the dealership not cool they dont even makes some parts for are cars anymore any one else know more about this?

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
ok i found some more info on it it the cash for clunkers bill if passed junk yards can only sell body parts no mechanical or drive train parts not as bad-as i thought but still not all that good of news

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
charlesshen;1344194 said:
ok i found some more info on it it the cash for clunkers bill if passed junk yards can only sell body parts no mechanical or drive train parts not as bad-as i thought but still not all that good of news

oh yeah that, I'm actually a big fan of that proposed legislation, it will pay to trade in an old POS if you buy a new american car

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If it passes there goes about 45% of the members cars....

And it'll drive 2nd hand parts prices through the roof so there goes another 15%.

Supra theft for "spares" will skyrocket killing off another 20% the remaining cars will be kept under lock and key and rarely driven in case they break down.... :nono:

We've already passed "Peak Mk3" and parts are getting harder to locate, the supplies of JDM turd engines are running out thanks to the Chinese driving the world scrap metal price up a few years back.

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
IJ.;1344210 said:
If it passes there goes about 45% of the members cars....

And it'll drive 2nd hand parts prices through the roof so there goes another 15%.

Supra theft for "spares" will skyrocket killing off another 20% the remaining cars will be kept under lock and key and rarely driven in case they break down.... :nono:

We've already passed "Peak Mk3" and parts are getting harder to locate, the supplies of JDM turd engines are running out thanks to the Chinese driving the world scrap metal price up a few years back.

yup all that and around $650million dollars given by the current administration just to seize and destroy imported parts coming in to the us from over seas

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Close all junkyards? Where does it say that?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1550

All it says is that any high polluting vehicle accepted under the program can't have it's engine block or drive train resold. All other parts are OK. Considering the legislation's intent that's to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb too but it's certainly not going to put salvage yards out of business.

Lmfao at the "rush long" thing....

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
jetjock;1344214 said:
Close all junkyards? Where does it say that?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1550

All it says is that any high polluting vehicle accepted under the program can't have it's engine block or drive train resold. All other are parts are OK. Considering the legislation's intent that's to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb too but it's certainly not going to put salvage yards out of business.

Lmfao at the "rush long" thing....
my bad i was just going of what i was told i didnt find out more about it till earlier

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
mdr40z;1344198 said:
oh yeah that, I'm actually a big fan of that proposed legislation, it will pay to trade in an old POS if you buy a new american car

Man, that's great. You know, though, if I could afford car payments, wouldn't I already have done that?

I spent YEARS driving a POS 1988 Accord I paid $50 for - I couldn't afford a car payment at that time. Who are you to force me into a car payment I don't want?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
(i) passenger automobile assembled in the United States with a minimum highway label fuel economy value of 27 miles per gallon;

Did I just read that correctly?

assembled in the United States... That means you could get a lot more than just Ford/GM/Chevy. I would not have guessed that they would include Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc...