not impressed...

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
So I will have my first start up this weekend after completing my build and I'm really starting to regret some of the decisions I've made....

I went down the lex/550/afpr/safc with 60-1 trim road. Of course among plenty of other things to support the setup but I went this way because I was thinking I would be very happy with 350-400 rwhp....

However, I have sense rode in some cars (such as 2013 mustang gt, and a apu z28) with around the same or even more of what I am expecting after a good tune and I'm not impressed....

I have been talking this build up to my wife and some buddies over the year saying it will so badass...but now fear that it will feel meh at best!?...I should have just saved money and went big fuel system, standalone and t4 to begin with!!!!! Gotta get a tune with the safc anyway so don't know what I was thinking???

I hope someone can tell me that the supra at 350 feels better than a mustang gt at 400 lol

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
sell the turbo and get a t4 setup? when i switched to a t4...i was so impressed with the power and the sound out the exhaust was to die for! well dont build your car to show off to other people, its for your enjoyment. just enjoy it.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
could you make more power? Well, of course you could have, but to do so you would have to factor in a ton of things that you can't see right now. You would have had to spend a lot more money (A LOT) to do it the right way, or if you did it the cheap way, you wouldn't enjoy it as much because it be as smooth. There were times when I wish I would have put in a BPU'd 1JZ and called it a day instead of going all in. I would have been able to drive it a lot more and it would have been a lot smoother/less maintenance.

Build a car that you enjoy. You will never beat every car on the road, so run your project in the ground trying to do so.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
You can get used to anything, when it comes to power.

What you must remember with those other cars is that what you're getting is still a factory tuned car. That means that it's going to FEEL like it's a factory tuned car. Your Supra won't be.

For one thing, turbocharged power comes on, and feels different from NA power like those V8s have. You get that turbo bite, and it feels different. It's not just power, it's power that comes on like a kick to the backside.

I've had V8s with more power than my 7M has, and in cars of about the same overall weight. The Supra is more fun to drive, if only because of that. (Though the instant on-the-pedal torque of my old V8s made smoking tires really REALLY simple.)

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
rakkasan;1967068 said:
could you make more power? Well, of course you could have, but to do so you would have to factor in a ton of things that you can't see right now. You would have had to spend a lot more money (A LOT) to do it the right way, or if you did it the cheap way, you wouldn't enjoy it as much because it be as smooth.

I feel like this is ALL I told myself through the ENTIRE build. Replaced damn near every stock component, hose, vacuum line, upgraded air, fuel, oil system, cooling system, everything else now just regret not investing in the big power adders up front instead of spending the money I did on injectors, turbo, and piggyback. I should have noticed how basically everyone with a successful build thread ended up going t4 eventually lol.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Dan_Gyoba;1967069 said:
What you must remember with those other cars is that what you're getting is still a factory tuned car. That means that it's going to FEEL like it's a factory tuned car. Your Supra won't be.

For one thing, turbocharged power comes on, and feels different from NA power like those V8s have. You get that turbo bite, and it feels different. It's not just power, it's power that comes on like a kick to the backside.

I've had V8s with more power than my 7M has, and in cars of about the same overall weight. The Supra is more fun to drive, if only because of That.)

Yeah now were talking... Lol thanks Dan

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Indigo what are you using to tune? Or are your afr's good with your setup?

I'm in the process of reading the apexi manuals for my safc now...its the last thing I have to wire in and i have a lot of learning to do on how to use this safely. Part of the reason I wish I went standalone in the first place since a pro will likely have to tune this for me anyway. Problem is closest good tuner is sound performance in Illinois (8hrs). Debating on driving the supra up there to get my break in miles or trailer it...guess it depends on my afr's w/o the safc

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Talked to the guy at dynosport...let's just say we didn't see eye to eye...not sure if he was the guy in charge but when I asked for someone to speak to about tuning I got him. He didn't know squat about the 7m or about tuning with the safc. Heres the jist of it: He first tried telling me the safc wouldnt work for my car and I needed to get my ecu reflashed or go standalone...after explaining this is a 1987 and how the safc works he was still saying it wouldn't work...I said ok man....well then the thousands of supras running this exact same setup must know something I don't or you don't know something you should. He said well I can take your money but its not going to work...I said haha thanks anyways and read up then hung up called sound performance and here's how that went...

Him: oh nice a 7m what do you have done?
Me: blah blah blah have you tuned one of these with an safc?
Him: bout 50
Me: I knew there was someone out there...blah blah blah
Him: yep should take 1hr max on dyno
Me: its an 8hr drive so I will take off a Thursday and Friday from work, be there Thurs morning can you have it done Thurs evening?
Him: not even a challenge, I'll transfer you to our scheduler take car
Me: thank you very much sir see you soon

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
7M4EVR;1967090 said:
Indigo what are you using to tune? Or are your afr's good with your setup?

I'm in the process of reading the apexi manuals for my safc now...its the last thing I have to wire in and i have a lot of learning to do on how to use this safely. Part of the reason I wish I went standalone in the first place since a pro will likely have to tune this for me anyway. Problem is closest good tuner is sound performance in Illinois (8hrs). Debating on driving the supra up there to get my break in miles or trailer it...guess it depends on my afr's w/o the safc

I spent some time tweaking the fuel pressure and air bypass screw on my lex afm housing to make sure the vf signal was happy. My idle afr is 15.4 along with my cruise being about 14.5 to 14.9 and my WOT is 11.3 slowly going to 10.7

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Is a tune really necessary with a lex and 550s? I mean, other than the bypass screw and fuel pressure changes?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
With just the Lexus AFM and 550cc injectors, a tune isn't really POSSIBLE outside of the bypass screw and fuel pressure. (And fuel pressure is only possible with an AFPR in addition.)

If your fuel system is in good shape, the TCCS ought to be able to adapt using it's learned correction, since the AFM and injectors pair nicely. The result is a factory tune, with very safe AFRs and reasonable response.

That said, the factory tune leaves a fair amount of power on the table, so some sort of tuning piggyback is worthwhile.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've just read in other threads that with just the lexus afm and 550s it runs inherently rich. Which I suppose is easily remedied with fp and the bypass lol

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol.. I read the first post and thought... "I HEAR YA BUD!!!" lol
Same route for me... 57 Trim/550's/new engine... and bang! Wild ride... then... ummm... okay... its cool... but....

Now Im into a SP6265 T4 install with 1000 cc injectors and a HKS standalone system. Going to see if that floats my boat... :)

Hang in there..its all a learning process. People tell you.. "know your end-goal", but in all honesty.. how many people have access to a 550 rwhp car that is going to give you a toot around town so you can get the feel of it and see if that's what you want to shoot for.
I want 425-500 on mine only because if I had 500+ I would use it (on public roads). Im not very bright that way...

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Haha yes...you are one of them people I should have learned from..but I remember you having problems with your ct57m...so figured that was part of your reason of going t4. I have an Albert's 60-1 rebuild and I watched his damn video of the 60-1 he rebuilt pushing like 23 psi and giving over 400 on a stock fuel and ecu setup and the thing looked wicked fun....I think that car had some head work and advanced timing or something too though.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Dan_Gyoba;1967069 said:

Back in the day(15yrs ago) my friend had a 1996 LT4 Corvette Grand Sport. He and I ran the exact same trap speed in the 1/4mile suggesting we had very similar power to weight ratio. He was running 12.20's to my best of 12.89 back then too. From a roll if we hit it at the same time he'd pull a quick and easy 2 lengths on me before I'd match his acceleration. Then he'd maintain those 2 cars lengths from then on. If I were to brake boost before starting he'd still get a half car jump on me. He just had more low end torque than I did, and that made all the difference.

I don't find waiting for the turbo to spool up exciting while watching other cars get a jump on me and keeping that lead. I'd rather have the instant torque kick to the backside feel and watch the competition fade away.
I've heard guys say "turbo lag is a courtesy headstart". Sometimes that courtesy head start will be your demise when up against those with the same hp/lbs ratio.