Nook or Kindle?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Trying to decide which would be best for my 11 y/o daughter and I don't know much about either one. I don't want to talk to some salesperson about them either.
Just want some input if yall have any to offer.
Thanks

WI88Supra

WI Supra Fan
For 200 bucks you can get the kindle fire through Amazon and it has a color screen, games, wifi web browser and handles email. You can also give her a subscription gift for books through Amazon, I think an 11 y/o would be much happier with it. It's a really good piece of hardware for the price. As far as the Nook goes, I feel like Barnes and Noble won't be around for ever like Amazon will.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Problem with the kindle is theres no password protection for purchases .now the the fire is out I'm pretty sure there will be no more development from users or manufactures for the nook anymore.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
just got a kindle fire a few days ago. loads of fun!! easy to setup and use. not shure id give it to an 11 yr old kid tho,......kids break stuff lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
gtsfirefighter;1780142 said:
Oh God, I'm already overwhelmed!! Probably basic. There's a Nook on sale at Best Buy for $79.99

Scott I'll do that too.
If she is into traditional text only books, the basic one is a great choice. Battery life on them is incredible, and the e-ink is extremely easy on the eyes.

If she's still on books with pictures, or reads magazines / newspapers / comics, then it's really worthwhile to upgrade to the color versions. You swap battery life for color, but you're still looking at 8-10 hours at the least. Far cry from the weeks you'll get with the e-ink, but whatever! :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Considering the way kids break stuff, paper. :p

Gotta say though, I thought of the idea when I was about 10, on a long road trip to Arizona, how cool would it have been to be able to read in the dark, and carry around a book on something like my Gameboy? Man I wish I had been old enough to put some money into that idea...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
gtsfirefighter;1784548 said:
Went with the Nook Color.

How much computer knowledge do you have? The devs over at XDA have tons of roms and basically can make that thing a full fledged android OS tablet.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
te72;1780416 said:
Considering the way kids break stuff, paper. :p

Meh. I was given one of those Sega hand held things when I was 11 or 12 (Game... Gear? I can't even remember). If they're responsible and know the thing is expensive, they'll take care of it. I'm sure that Sega thing is still floating around my mom's house somewhere, still in working order.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
gtsfirefighter;1785319 said:
I don't what the f--k you're talking about. I went with the Nook, that's all I can tell ya. :biglaugh:

Lol well that answers my question lol. If your feeling adventurous and willing to learn. Just give me a shout.

Send From My Steel Droid 3.0

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DreamerTheresa;1785324 said:
Meh. I was given one of those Sega hand held things when I was 11 or 12 (Game... Gear? I can't even remember). If they're responsible and know the thing is expensive, they'll take care of it. I'm sure that Sega thing is still floating around my mom's house somewhere, still in working order.
They only made a couple hand helds, the Game Gear and the Nomad (portable Genesis), either one ran through about 8x AA's of awesomeness every couple hours. I would say you make a good point, but that's 90% of the "responsible" bit. Some kids these days...