New SP "Bolt on" Turbo

Rene Blub

Dec 2, 2011
Graz, Austria, Austria
Hey guys maybe its intressting for u in USA too,
at first sorry for my bad english....
>Link to Turbo<
Well i buyed the New SP Bolt on Turbo, its reallty terrible its so far from bolt as can be.....

First Problem was the Oil return Line....
Well, easy to fix disamble it and turn it....

Ok Second Problem Turbo is to close to the power steering oil Tank well, u can do it on other Place

Third problem is the badest
The compressor housing is to big it cant be mounted on the Stock manifold u need a Spacer.....
Akkordeon house is also to small but that was same by the old sp61
oh and i got the wrong accutator too..... not able to mount it on turbo lol
here some more Pics...

Just lol

If u ask me if u build on t4 or something u have less work gg

I hope for some of u was it intresting..... may sticky...i will update it when i have some more news good or bad whatever

greatings from austria

boostedma70

Sep 15, 2011
Missoula MT
you know i dont know about that turbo. but i have an SP61GT on my 87. bolt on, with the bic ddp. easy to install and great combo. only thing that's somewhat being close to in the way is the power steering tank but with a curved intake pipe into the turbo. good info to have though...thank you

Rene Blub

Dec 2, 2011
Graz, Austria, Austria
The sp61gt bolts better as the new one..... even with a curved intake u have no change... 2 ways to fix it remove power steering tank or turbo moves back i will see tommorow how we wil fix it....and the housing is 4" (102mm) so u need also a reduction

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
phuck... mine is supposed to get here next week. That turbo looks huge! What version do you have? 6262, 5862,5857,5557?

Rene Blub

Dec 2, 2011
Graz, Austria, Austria
5857 may the larger exhaustside fits the manifold..... if not u need a 2 cm (0.787401575 inch) i hope inch is correct :) ) flange one the stock manifold! And and the intake u must complete rebuild ....

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
i'll probably have the same problems too then :( Did you special order the compressor housing to have the surge holes? what was your cost if you don't mind telling me?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have the turbonetics bolt on, and aside from the oil fittings, the same issue.

Compressor is too big, needed a 1/2" spacer to bolt it tot he manifold. In this case though, it was the choice of compressor which got me. There are certainly smaller compressors which would have fit just fine, probably even ones that would fit the accordian hose.

I moved the PS resevoir. You need 3/8" and 5/8" hose for the inlet and outlet. Really easy to do. For now mine looks terrible, since it's wired to my IC piping, but I intend to move it to a nicer looking location.

I replaced the accordian hose with some 4" and then a 4" to 3.5" reducer to connect to the Lexus AFM.

Water and oil in and out don't fit to the stock lines, so some stuff needed there, but not a really big deal.

Overall though I'm happy with it. No need to fab up stuff for the downpipe and wastegate, stock fit downpipe works great, and though there might be some theoretical gains from a tube manifold, I think that the real-world performance of the stock manifold is no limiter on what my 7M can do.

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
Just in case if anyone is interesting in the Precision 5857 bolt-on FROM Sound Performance; the turbo will have a different compressor housing and looks to have minimal fitment issues. Sound Performance rotates the housing and center section to the correct positions and redesigned the wastegate actuator bracket. The compressor housing that SP sold me did not have the surge ports. It will fit stock accordian hose and it looks like it will not need a 1/2 inch spacer between the manifold and turbo flange. Although I haven't installed it on my car it looks to have very little room when I mocked it up on a spare manifold. I may still need to rotate the compressor housing. Enjoy.

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0020.JPG

mock fitment with washer to serve as the manifold to turbo gasket. hope the stock gasket is the same thickness... haha
DSCF0022.JPG

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
some minor grinding/sanding of the manifold may give you the required clearance. any worry about the compressor housing so close to the manifold from a heat perspective? doesn't look like the stock heat shields would fit.

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
Managed to open up some space by rotating the compressor housing very slightly.
DSCF0077.JPG

Depending on how the oil drain is setup, it will limit how much rotation is possible before hitting the wastegate actuator bolt. Plus the wastegate rod can't be twisted too much...
DSCF0068.JPG

Installing the turbo with a few stacked gaskets plus minor rotation should clear everything.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Try to source a N/A power steering reservoir, so you can move it to the shock tower. It is a very quick and easy swap. It will make it much easier to work on your motor. In the stock location, the turbo one is always the first thing you have to remove

SoundPerformance

Apr 20, 2010
Illinois
Rene Blub;1807991 said:
Hey guys maybe its intressting for u in USA too,
at first sorry for my bad english....
>Link to Turbo<
Well i buyed the New SP Bolt on Turbo, its reallty terrible its so far from bolt as can be.....

First Problem was the Oil return Line....
Well, easy to fix disamble it and turn it....

Ok Second Problem Turbo is to close to the power steering oil Tank well, u can do it on other Place

Third problem is the badest
The compressor housing is to big it cant be mounted on the Stock manifold u need a Spacer.....
Akkordeon house is also to small but that was same by the old sp61
oh and i got the wrong accutator too..... not able to mount it on turbo lol
here some more Pics...

Just lol

If u ask me if u build on t4 or something u have less work gg

I hope for some of u was it intresting..... may sticky...i will update it when i have some more news good or bad whatever

greatings from austria

How did you get a bolt on CT26 style with a S compressor cover?? Did you request this? All bolt on CT26 style turbos have the E cover which is 3" inlet and 2" outlet. They fit without any issue. I make a custom oil return line kit for these turbos because due to the WG rod placement you can not fit a traditional -10 style on it. Call me or email me if you have any questions.

Larry
SP

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
this is what I did today with the 5857@14 on 91 Cali piss water

DSCF0092.JPG

[video=youtube;liPjkyz1Uo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPjkyz1Uo8&context=C41bdff9ADvjVQa1PpcFNfLpEV_UkKQKFmCbuzq6aaFtk9e-FHJJ4=[/video]