New Motor Is Trashed, Fix?

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Essential specs on motor: Head/Block Resurfaced, 1.6mm SIP MHG.

Head looked really great mirror finish, block looked terrible and had pretty deep grooves
in it. Called up shane from nolden motorsports and he said i could use his lapping tool.

Lapped the block for hours and got those grooves out the best i could then went over it with 1000grit, and 1500grit. Got pretty smooth but idk the roughness. This was my first time lapping as well.

Set the MHG on, head on, torqued it down gradually to 85ftlbs.

Got everything done, car idled perfect. Started to drive it and was going up a little hill
and woooosh, white smoke just started POURING out of my elbow(Had no downpipe/exhaust, was just crusing around the parking lot)

Shut the car off immediately. about 2-3hours later i started the car back up and it idled fine again...

Now i talked to a few people and they said you gotta drill out some kind of passage or something idk for the MHG\\\'s?

I really dont understand how my head could of not sealed that bad....

Drain the oil? What now?

I\'ve already started contemplating a 1UZ swap.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
does it pour out white smoke when idling? if not i maybe something else, same thing happened to me, turned out the turbo was blown

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Nope, no white smoke at idle...

Turbo is fine, dont got but 10miles on it. New 57trim from Driftmotion.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
If it's still that fresh, just take everything off again and try to find the problem, maybe since you have so few miles most of all your gaskets are still salvagable and be reused.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
SIP gasket- same brand as cometic?
If so, those people are talking about a rivet on the mhg that is so poorly placed, that it interferes with the mating surface, requiring it's removal prior to assembly.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Here's a pic of the offending rivet on the Cometic prior to removal.

Attachments

• DSCN0390.jpg
    DSCN0390.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 62

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
supraguy@aol;1626323 said:
If so, those people are talking about a rivet on the mhg that is so poorly placed, that it interferes with the mating surface, requiring it's removal prior to assembly.

Im with supraguy on theis one, you can probably check for this problem yourself. Go and take a peek were the block and head come together and see if the rivets look like the ones on the pic above.

Also did you prime your new turbo or did you just start up the car right after you were excited you were finished.? You could have messed up the turbo seals if you didnt prime the system first.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Had to remove iirc 2 rivets from a comedic on a buddies motor I built. Also you should put the downpipe on so you don't set a fire

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Another MkIII;1626512 said:
Take the block to a machine shop if you go with a MHG.
-AM3

I dont even know what your talking about...

Was stated in my first sentence.

supraguy@aol;1626323 said:

I dont know man.
This is the one i got from rich.

http://www.sipracingmailorder.com/servlet/the-411/SIP-Racing-MLS-head/Detail

Supraflymk3;1626405 said:
Did you lap the block with the inner timing cover on? the head sits part way on that so if you didn't lap the block with that attached the head would seal perfectly.

Yes, block was machined with timing cover on.

IJ.;1626421 said:
Lapping is a finishing process only not a way to correct the deck surface, chances are it will never seal with a MHG, maybe with a composite....

Ahh, Well i got all the little grooves out, ran my finger nail across it and never got caught... Felt just like my mirror finished head.

wardog;1626436 said:
Im with supraguy on theis one, you can probably check for this problem yourself. Go and take a peek were the block and head come together and see if the rivets look like the ones on the pic above.

Also did you prime your new turbo or did you just start up the car right after you were excited you were finished.? You could have messed up the turbo seals if you didnt prime the system first.

Yes i did prime the turbo.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
IJ.;1626979 said:
It "may" be smooth but it won't be flat and that's every bit as important as smooth, human physiology won't allow "flat"...

Yea i understand what your saying...

I dont have any tools either to provide myself with information such as showing its completely true.

Just really odd that the head side was a complete mirror finish and they left the block crappy.

You think i could get them to pay for everything?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yikes... The machine shop should have made the block smooth. If they didn't then you should have had them fix it in the first place. Lapping is tricky to begin with if you're using it only for surface finishing, but you'll never keep it flat trying to remove grooves with that procedure...

It seems maybe you need to do a good amount more research before reassembling it. Doing a 1UZ swap is not going to solve anything if you want to make a performance motor... :nono:

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Yea i understand, i just thought i could just lap it and be fine with the block being crappy...

And for the 1UZ swap i understand its not going to solve anything, but it will solve the problem with me not having a vehicle.

What options do i have?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well your best option is to pull it all and take it to a shop that will machine it flat again and make it smooth.

However, realizing that would be a huge pain and you might need the vehicle... You could pull the head and get a Toyota OEM head gasket and torque it to the proper amount. The OEM graphite HG is very forgiving compared to a MHG. Although if it's very uneven then you're kinda screwed until you get the block machined again.

Anyways... I'd pull the head and do an OEM, graphite HG with some copper spray and pray to your deity of choice for the best.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
A motor swap is infinitely more difficult than getting the 7M head to seal. If it's your only vehicle and you need it to get around, you should take the advice of others here and see if you can get away with a stock head gasket on what you have now or have it remachined. Putting it plainly, if you can't get the 7M head to seal properly you shouldn't attempt a motor swap in your only vehicle.